Should We Lower The "bar"?

pineda

Sure, eliminating obesity seems like a worthwhile goal. But instead of coming up with unfunded plans to dump on overworked school clinic nurses that only cause humiliation and embarassment for students and their parents, why not look into restoring P.E. time for elementary school children in Texas? And it sounded just a bit disingenous coming from an overweight pharmacist/lawmaker.

Given that there isn't a single thing on the bar exam that is relevant to the actual practice of law, I don't see a reason to limit the number of attempts. In fact, an aspiring lawyer with the tenacity and fortitude to continue sitting for the exam, a fine example of torture in the US, seems to exhibit a quality we appreciate in a lawyer, a refusal to give up in the face of adversity.

Those lawyers who are opposed to dropping the 5 test limit probably harbor a secret desire to limit the number of lawyers. That is understandable, given that there are about 70,000 lawyers in the state, but the limit does not "protect" the citizens of Texas in any appreciable way.

As for obese kids, we absolutely should bring back mandatory PE, as well as make it useful, as opposed to 30 minutes of dodgeball. Schools should make more of an effort to produce healthy lunches, including pulling junk food vending machines out. Unfortunately, the government produced food pyramid gives no guidance as to what is healthy. They are merely a chart that shows which agricultural lobbies have the most influence on Capitol Hill.

Sure, eliminating obesity seems like a worthwhile goal. But instead of coming up with unfunded plans to dump on overworked school clinic nurses that only cause humiliation and embarassment for students and their parents, why not look into restoring P.E. time for elementary school children in Texas? And it sounded just a bit disingenous coming from an overweight pharmacist/lawmaker.

Oh I agree with you completely. Im just saying I'm all for eliminating obesity.

Oh I agree with you completely. Im just saying I'm all for eliminating obesity.

I would be willing to bet that the number of children that can't read or write at a 5th grade level outweigh ( no pun intended) the amount of "fat kids" in any given junior high school around this city. It is the school's responsiblilty to teach our children, not to monitor what they are stuffing in their faces. You don't like what the school is serving, pack your child a lunch. You don't think they are getting enough exercise, get them away from that damn playstation and xbox when they get home, spend the $300 on a nice bike for them to ride! :angry:

I would be willing to bet that the number of children that can't read or write at a 5th grade level outweigh ( no pun intended) the amount of "fat kids" in any given junior high school around this city.

Nahhh, our kids be smart Yo. ..Ask anyboy Yo igno-ant fool.

That aside :D, I agree that pulling vending machines from the schools is a smart start. Turning off the X-Box is the second step. The problem is truely two-fold though. The school has the chance to offer 1 square meal and on average 45 minutes of physical activity daily. The rest has to come from the parents, who these days feed their kids Mountain Dew & Playstation 2 for dinner 4 nights a week.

mmmmm good!

I agree that the schools have the opportunity, at a certain education level, to take the vending machines away, I remember back in 1986, that my school actually got to vote on whether to keep the coke machines in the cafeteria or not. Yes, we, the kids, this was at high school level, so maybe our opinions held a little more weight. Elementary and Junior high kids should have a letter sent home in a sealed envelope for the parents to read and vote what they think is best for their children, it is very hard to resist the temptation of a soft drink. Coke and Pepsi pay big money to get those little consumers, they know that is their clientel for years to come. It all boils down to the parents though. Always has, always will.

^^^

nmainguy agrees with TJ! {I'm with you on those Texans as well}

Earth's Rotation Reversed!

[Happy New Year, TJ]

B)

I think I saw a sea full of dead fish and a blood red moon just the other day.

.......and a Feliz Ano Nueva to you too nmain ! :blush:

Oh Yeah ! I never actually said anything about the Bar. I agree with Red, I don't care how many times it takes them to pass, just as long as they pass, you can the SAT until you are happy with the number, why not a Bar. I also blieve, like Red, that it is just a lawyer trick to limit the amount of folks trying to become lawyers and increasing the HERD ! Red, is that correct, is it a Herd, or a Murder ?

Edited by TJones