Why Aren’t School Cross Walks A Priority Within Houston?

trymahjong

The presentation at last nights Neartown zoom was to raise awareness of  designated school crosswalks ( or the lack of them) in North Montrose area.

The presentation centered on crosswalks at Clay and Montrose plus Gray at Montrose. I am now convinced that the timed “walk” signal is far too short, the crosswalk striping far to faded and the crosswalk guards…non existent. But OMG most of the zoom participants from different parts of Montrose; gave almost identical  personal experiences of the same=> same lack of stripping, school crosswalk guards, even stop light timed crossing icon. The stories ranged from grim to heart breaking. My thoughts were puzzling over is it just Montrose, or is it the same everywhere? If it is the same, why? 

I thought, perhaps the stop light timed crossing duration light ( the walking man  icon) might have reconfigured to be more pedestrian friendly.  There was a lot of attention paid to the situation concerning that poor woman who was killed at Richmond and  Dunlevy  a few years ago. That kind of outcry should of been heard at COH……..apparently not. 

Trying not to get sidetracked that ALL “walking icon” probably should be calibrated to be same amount of time ……but it seems the sort of thing COH likes to hire an expert, who costs a lot of money, to research, the give an opinion of amount of time needed……but nothing changes.

I have a bit of experience……. I have walked fifteen blocks from Indian Road to 204th,   with  my grandchildren to elementary school along Broadway within Inwood, Northern Manhattan . I’m recall the school  crosswalk icon at traffic light  flashes 45 seconds when light turns green; then does a countdown at 20 seconds, then has a small delay THEN the light changes to red. There is also a crosswalk card at 204th. Is that the protocol everywhere in Manhattan? I don’t know. Do I feel the school children have protection at that intersection? Yes.

Trying to understand why COH doesn’t step up protect children walking to school is unfathomable. 

Hoping that the  monies received from “lights and whistles” huge  electronic entertain signs, thatMayor Turner was so determined to get, might remedy this problem seems unlike—-sigh.

My worse fear…….a school child might have to die before anything is done to address this serious problem.

• Like 1

there is currently a "safe routes to school" program that aims to improve walkability and likeability to school. I'm not sure about Montrose but in the heights I've seen them slowly improving the sidewalks near heights high school. Montrose specifically also has a safe streets program, they are currently working on Woodhead and Hawthorne st. In the justification section for these projects schools are a top reason. 

https://montrosehtx.org/meeting/august-9-2021/

if you wanna check out the two projects they are t-2707 and t-2708 in the 2022 budget document 

• Like 1

The way city of Houston designates potential new crosswalks is ridiculous. If you believe an unsignalized intersection (or mid block) should have a crosswalk, you can fill out a 311 report. They send someone out to count the number of people crossing. The public works employee is looking for 20 or more pedestrians an hour to cross, which makes getting a new crosswalk almost impossible - I have been told that if the location is by a school, then they might consider it even if it doesn't pass the 20+ pedestrians per hour. Regardless, I dont think any unsignalized intersection sees 20+ pedestrians an hour. They really do need to change the way they consider new crosswalks. 

Luckily, if there are already markings, but they are severely faded; a simple 311 request for faded traffic markings will solve that issue. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Why Aren’t School Cross Walks A Priority Within Houston?