Trendy Almeda Rd.

woolie

No picture of Spanish Village?!?

The Avalon Grill has always intrigued me. Was this restaurant inside a house?

I didn't say it was comprehensive :) Anyway, I'm not crazy about the Spanish Village. It's not that good and it's overpriced.

I don't know about the Avalon Grill, either. As it stands today, it's an abandoned house with the roof caving in.

Love the old Church's chicken place, and The Avalon has some newer establishments around town also. Don't knock the Taco vendors, some of those guys can make a mean Torta ! :wub:

Also, in the first photo, you can get a delicious microwaveable Burrito, at that Diamond Shamrock down the road. Gotta be a Valero by now.

You might take a new camera INTO Third Ward, doesn't mean it is coming out with you. <_<:D Be careful.

I like to ride around on my bike, at night, with $2500 worth of camera equipment around my neck and in my pockets :)

It's fine during the day, and there are really only a few places you should avoid at night if you're alone. But I mean, it's common sense: don't walk around alone at night ANYWHERE where there aren't many people around (residential neighborhoods: e.g. third ward) or good street lighting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I live in the old Prospect Apartments, on Prospect at Almeda between Binz and Southmore. They're great -- large, very art deco, built by William Hobby in 1939, I think. Curved walls, original hardwoods and tile. The neighborhood can still be a bit dodgy here and there, but it's like River Oaks compared to how it was just a few years ago. It takes me less than 10 minutes to get to work, and I actually live in a place with some character. That's almost unheard of in Houston!

If I get a new camera this month, I hope to take it into Third Ward, East and West of 288. West of 288 may be more attractive but Southmore east of 288 is a total jewel.

And I use to go here about once a week.

05dec23-13.jpg

this isnt church's chicken its the old Jim Dandy chicken chain. notice the the logo has both JD in it

Do you all remember the one downtown and where it was located???? at the corner of main and praire at the current jefe bar

• The title was changed to Trendy Almeda Rd.

Archived