Retail Center At 2820-2920 White Oak Dr.

CrockpotandGravel

This was in the previous thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by Houston19514, November 21, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

On 11/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, EllenOlenska said:

Nice list thanks. Yeah when I said apartments on Yale I meant Assembly and the other one. And when I said abandoned condos I mean Victoria condos. You can see Studewood condos (which escaped my mind) pretty clearly from far away. Really dominates its surroundings.

I wonder how tall the garage will be in feet. 

See Angostura's post above, (approximately 80 feet), approximately the height of The Assembly at Historic Heights (the shortest of the five nearby properties on my list).

This was in the previous thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by thedistrict84, November 21, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:59 AM, Angostura said:

Still think it's better than 2 acres of surface parking.

I don’t disagree. Even better would be if the City hurries up and does away with minimum parking requirements completely. With ride sharing and Uber/Lyft more prevalent, and automated vehicles maybe 5-10 years out, there will be less of a need for parking and garages like this will be antiquated.

The City’s recent vote to extend the CBD to most of Midtown and EaDo (and therefore essentially eliminating the existing minimum parking requirements) gives me hope. 

And I know parking capacity is a concern held by retail tenants, but that too will change as more and more people move away from driving their own vehicles for the reasons specified above (plus hopefully extended public transportation and better walkability due to increased density in certain areas).

This was in the previous thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive . It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by EllenOlenska, November 21, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

Also fwiw the garage at the Camden on Oxford is six stories high. 

This was in the previous thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive . It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by EllenOlenska, November 21, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

I'd really like to know how tall the spire on the All Saints Catholic Church in the Heights is. 

Originally posted by s3mh, November 21, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:59 AM, Angostura said:

Still think it's better than 2 acres of surface parking.

Typical beaten down Houston development standard.  Just because it is better than a Walmart, tote the note lot or a row of town homes doesn't mean we have to accept it.  There is no reason to overdevelop White Oak like this other than to line the pockets of some developer.  Radom is putting in 200k sq ft of retail/office next to the old Freedman building.  Braun has @25k sq ft of retail on 24th and N. Shep.  Market at Houston Heights on N. Shep and W 15th has 75k of retail sq ft under construction.  The train station thing on Heights and 11th is built out.  There are a bunch of big lots on N. Shep suitable for additional retail development.  The thrift store and insurance resale place on 19th are primed for conversion to new retail.  There is absolutely no compelling need to cram all that retail on to White Oak that we need to put up a giant vertical garage.  

Originally posted by Texasota, November 21, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

What does "overdevelop" mean though? I mean that seriously. I'm not necessarily saying that increasing density is *always* a net positive, but retail absolutely benefits from proximity to other retail. More development on White Oak will make it a healthier commercial corridor.

Originally posted by Angostura, November 22, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:36 PM, s3mh said:

Typical beaten down Houston development standard.  Just because it is better than a Walmart, tote the note lot or a row of town homes doesn't mean we have to accept it.  There is no reason to overdevelop White Oak like this other than to line the pockets of some developer.  Radom is putting in 200k sq ft of retail/office next to the old Freedman building.  Braun has @25k sq ft of retail on 24th and N. Shep.  Market at Houston Heights on N. Shep and W 15th has 75k of retail sq ft under construction.  The train station thing on Heights and 11th is built out.  There are a bunch of big lots on N. Shep suitable for additional retail development.  The thrift store and insurance resale place on 19th are primed for conversion to new retail.  There is absolutely no compelling need to cram all that retail on to White Oak that we need to put up a giant vertical garage.  

It's great that there's lots of retail being added to lots of different parts of the Heights, but the use of the term "overdevelop" is question-begging.

The best way to not need 10-story parking garages is to put retail close to where people live. And as long as we require lots of parking for retail development, the only way to put retail close to people without acres of surface parking in between is to go vertical. So, garages like this are necessary so that some day we won't need garages like this. 

Ideally, we'd decouple parking provision from retail development, so that we could have smaller, more granular developments that share common parking across a neighborhood. But there are economies of scale in parking construction, so until we get rid of parking minimums, we'll still have rules in place that favor large developments over smaller ones. So if you're really worried about big developers making too much money, get on board with eliminating parking minimums.

Originally posted by Ross, November 22, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

You will always need parking, unless you think a White Oak type area can survive catering only to people within walking distance. I live 2.5 miles from White Oak(and don't use Uber or Lyft due to their stupid fight against reasonable background checks), and there's no way I am walking over there for dinner and then back, so there has to be some sort of parking. As it is, there are times where we just go somewhere else if there's no parking within a reasonable distance of White Oak.

Originally posted by Angostura, November 23, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

On 11/22/2018 at 3:19 PM, Ross said:

You will always need parking, unless you think a White Oak type area can survive catering only to people within walking distance. I live 2.5 miles from White Oak(and don't use Uber or Lyft due to their stupid fight against reasonable background checks), and there's no way I am walking over there for dinner and then back, so there has to be some sort of parking. As it is, there are times where we just go somewhere else if there's no parking within a reasonable distance of White Oak.

The greater Heights has a population density of around 7000/sq mi. That's about 2X the density of Houston as a whole, but probably about 1/2 what it would need to be before a significant proportion of customers arrived by means other than a private vehicle. (That said, on a nice day it's harder to park a bike than a car at Heights Mercantile.)

However, density isn't the only metric that determines how people get around. If we isolate retail in just a few places, along Shepherd, south of I-10, people will still have to drive to it. If we have healthy, high density retail corridors on Heights/Yale, Shepherd, Studewood, White Oak, 11th, and 19th/20th, plus eventually N. Main and Airline, pretty much everyone in the Heights will be within half-a-mile of at least two retail corridors.

Reading this conversation, it's hard not to think about the (long ago) tram that used to go down Heights Boulevard and stop and Heights and 20th. 

Originally posted by mollusk, November 23, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

On 11/21/2018 at 2:35 PM, EllenOlenska said:

I'd really like to know how tall the spire on the All Saints Catholic Church in the Heights is. 

It may be tall, but in area it's just a footprint in the sand.

Originally posted by Luminare, November 25, 2018 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

I, for one, welcome our new 10 story automated parking overlords.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, May 1, 2019 in the thread for Automated Parking Garage In Development @ 2912 White Oak Drive.

From recent updated site plans, the automated parking garage for 2912 White Oak Dr may have been canned. 

The space between Christian's Tailgate and Tacos A Go Go was designated for the automated parking garage, but is now shown as retail.

The parking garage has been moved to the space next to Fitzgerald's at 2714 White Oak Dr. (thread about it here)

DdUnG7g.jpg

SP4agvE.jpg

• The title was changed to 2912 White Oak Dr.
  • The title was changed to Retail Center At 2820-2920 White Oak Dr.

Archived