Heights Bier Garten And Wooster's Annex 1433 N. Shepherd Dr.

CrockpotandGravel

This thread was originally created January 26, 2016. I'm reposting / reupping this because this post and other content from me are no longer available on the forum due to a mod removing my account and its content in "error"  (supposedly).  An archive link  of the thread before its deletion is coming soon.

1433 North Shepherd Drive was the site of long-time Longhorn Motor Company until a few years ago when owners put the 40,000 SF lot up for sale. The property was purchased in 2013:

1433 N Shepherd Property LLC  has  purchased  approximately  1.15  acres  at  the  southwest  corner  of  North  Shepherd and West  15th (W 15th St) from  Longhorn  Motor  Company.  Finial  Group represented the  seller. Kimball Ward Development & Consultants represented the buyer.

QdiomjV.jpg

Np61vht.jpg

This was originally posted  January 26, 2016 in the previous thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

In 2013, Swamplot reported the 1433 North Shepherd Drive property would go from a car sales lot to a beer bar named Heights Bier Garden, but nothing ever came of it:

Drinking, Not Driving: Heights Used-Car Dealership Sold to Beer Gardeners

A reader sends this photo of the long-time Longhorn Motor Company property at the corner of N. Shepherd and W. 15th St. in the Heights. Longhorn, writes the reader, “recently got rid of all its cars and went on the market. A couple of weeks ago an application to TABC turned up. I tried to do research and found nothing on it but the prospect of a nice little beer joint on that stretch of North Shepherd is pretty exciting.” County records show that the 1.15-acre property changed hands in June. That TABC sign the reader mentions is dated July 2; it names “Heights Bier Garden” as the applicant here at 1433 N. Shepherd Dr.

This was originally posted  January 26, 2016 in the previous thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Houston-based commercial construction services company Kuehn Inc, shared the news on Facebook last Friday that Heights Bier Garden at 1433 N Shepherd is moving forward:

We are excited to announce the latest addition to the Houston Heights community, The Heights Bier Garden! This GC-led Design Build will feature a stunning multilevel beer garden and sky-lit mezzanine. This is another extraordinary collaboration between Troy Schaum of Schaum/Shieh Architecture and KUEHNinc!

The reason for the long delay may have something to do with nearby businesses and residents protesting the bar's TABC application in 2013, according to court records on the TABC website. Heights Bier Garden was granted their permit when plantiffs didn't provide sufficient evidence to support their claim of the bar being bad for the neighborhood.

Also from the court records:

...(Heights Bier Garden) will be a beer garden with approximately 3,000 sf indoors and 2,000 sf outdoors. Two parking lots will be built. Loudspeakers will be aimed towards North Shepherd Drive. The bar will be open seven days a week, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.

Word is Heights Bier Garden at 1433 N Shepherd Dr is a beer bar from Jeff Barati (real name Mohammad Baratizadeh) and Andy Aweida. The two opened and operated NOX Lounge, Taps, Kobain and Ei8ht Lounge off Washington Avenue, Roak in the former funeral home in Upper Kirby, Wooster Garden in Midtown and the recently opened VrSi, also in Midtown to name a few. Both names are also listed as principals of 1433 N Shepherd Property LLC.

This was in the previous thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by innerloop, January 28 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

On 1/28/2016 at 7:03 AM, txcat84 said:

What's the feelz on this? Downsode seems rather douchey.

NOX Lounge - OK, not great, young crowd

Taps - Good sports bar, better than average service

Kobain - Loved that place, more upscale crowd, really sorry when it closed

Ei8ht Lounge - OK

Roak - never went

Wooster Garden - Great place, nice space, nice crowd, walkable from Piola

VrSi - haven't been

This place should be fine.  Overall you will/would find a better dressed, better behaved crowd than places with a similarly aged clientele.  And they usually have better bar service than other places. 

This was in the previous thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive. It's being reposted / reupped since the original thread and other content from me were removed. 

Originally posted by s3mh, January 28 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

I was wondering why there was so much opposition to the TABC application, but did not put it together that these are the same people behind the funeral home clubs on Kirby (Roak, OTC etc.).  The funeral home clubs on Kirby got sued by neighbors under nuisance law and in an effort to enforce a deed restriction.  They got a $300k judgment for the former, but were not able to enforce the deed restriction.  There were lots of stories of violent bouncers, drugs, over the top parties and all kinds of drunk and drugged out folks falling all over the neighborhood.  But they made huge piles of money before they shut down. 

I also had no idea that the same folks opened up Wooster's Garden.  I guess they actually learned something from the funeral home experience. Woosters is great.  Food, drinks, atmosphere and service are all excellent.  With that place on their resume, I have no concerns about the Bier Garden.  All they have to do is copy Cottonwood/the Creeks, put in some bean bag games and a sand box and they will print money. 

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, March 8 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

Houston Chronicle provided more insight on Heights Bier Garden:

Uchi sous chef Brandon Silva to head up culinary operations for Kirby Group

...Then, in 2017, Kirby plans to open the ambitious Heights Bier Garden on a 40,000-square-foot property they own at North Shepherd Dr. and 15th Street.  That's an area in the throes of rapid development, with the Treadsack Group's ground zero of Hunky Dory/Bernadine's just blocks up N. Shepherd, and a bevy of projects like Fat Cat Creamery, Southern Goods, Hugs & Donuts, Ka Sushi and the upcoming Cane Rosso and Mellow Mushroom pizzerias close by.

Steven Salazar, a former sommelier at Kata Robata who is the Kirby Group's food and beverage partner, says they'll be building their Bier Garden from scratch on the old Longhorn Motors site. They'll bring in fully grown trees for the landscaping and install a chef's garden  for the use of chef Silva and his team.

"We're thinking about two stories," says Salazar, "with possibly a more casual sports-bar feel upstairs. But nothing's official yet."  Not even the architect: Kirby is still in talks with contenders for the job.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/alison-cook/article/Uchi-sous-chef-Brandon-Silva-to-head-up-culinary-6874907.php

Interersting the Kirby Group's beverage director says the architect isn't official. Earlier this year Kuehn announced Schaum/Shieh Architecture were involved with this.

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, March 25, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

Heights Bier Garden changed its name. The new name for the beer garden that's going to be built soon at 1433 N Shepherd is Heights Bier Garten.

From Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFz9MBLD-OB928Iv4Ob6FbD_rjBa6vxwg7vP580/

Originally posted by andre154, July 1, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

The plat for this site is on the July 7th Planning Commission agenda. 

RrYseta.jpg

hKQPK7D.jpg

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, October 8, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

From Houston Chronicle in July:

" The upgraded menu allows Wooster's Garden fans to experience what Silva has in store not just with Wooster's but with the Heights Bier Garten as well as the company's proposed Worcester's Annex, a cocktail bar they're planning near the Bier Garten. "

So somewhere near Heights Bier Garten the Kirby Group will open the cocktail bar Worcester's Annex. There's a Facebook page for Worcester's Annex and address of 1433 Shepherd Drive.

Originally posted by s3mh, October 18, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

From Swamplot:

The Kirby Group folks (behind Midtown beer and cocktail bar Wooster’s Garden and those since-demolished converted funeral home bars in Upper Kirby) look to be setting up for their Worcester’s Annex cocktail project south of N. Shepherd and 15th St.  The new bar (which is taking off the linguistic gloves and using the full-on British spelling of the name) is being built on the far southern end of the former Longhorn Motor Company lot at 1433 N. Shepherd, previously tapped as the intended site of the Heights Bier Garten; Greg Morago reported this summer that the 2 developments would be near one another. The bar is going up across the street from legally-tangled tortilla factory La Espiga De Oro (which was infiltrated and raided by ICE officers last year, after which the company’s owners were indicted for allegedly hiring undocumented immigrants).

http://swamplot.com/woosters-garden-now-annexing-n-shepherd-lot-across-from-raided-heights-tortilla-factory/2016-10-18/

Originally posted by s3mh, October 18, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

Construction progress photo of  Worcester’s Annex. 

From Facebook, included in the Swamplot article.

EKHsd0m.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/WorcestersAnnex/photos/a.1694448864206986.1073741828.1689209818064224/1694448867540319

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, October 21, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

From Heights Bier Garten's Facebook:

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, October 27, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

More about Heights Bier Garten and Worcester's Garden from CultureMap:

Heights Bier Garten/Worcester’s Annex
Having established Wooster’s Garden and VrSI as two of Midtown’s more compelling destinations, the Kirby Group will turn its attention to The Heights with these twin craft beer and cocktail concepts that will occupy the corner of 14th Street and Shepherd Drive. Expect lots of outdoor seating, an extensive beer list, and food by culinary director Brandon Silva (Uchi, Holley’s).

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-27-16-44-top-houston-area-bars-and-restaurants-are-expected-to-open-before-super-bowl-li

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, November 20, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

Before demolition and construction pictures of Heights Bier Garten and Wooster's Annex at 1433 North Shepherd:

5p3X59G.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMPg2DpA7V9/

fgiwCqn.jpg

wp9eMtk.jpg

gazbcQV.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNAao1qggvp

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, December 18, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

From Heights Bier Garten's Instagram, picture stills of Heights Bier Garten and Wooster's Annex

Here's the link to the video posted on Instagram:

https://instagram.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t50.2886-16/15587677_1199677136786747_3306398448755933184_n.mp4

Screenshots from the video:

yRgvcPm.jpg

And from earlier this month:

Lv8XR26.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNw1iTXjt-5

Originally posted by crockpotandgravel, December 23, 2016 in the thread for 1433 N. Shepherd Drive.

Progress picture of Wooster's Annex from Facebook:

UOdUVNL.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/vrsihouston/photos/a.191370404533367.1073741828.191365957867145/376960119307727

Posted April 12, 2017

Heights Bier Garten & Wooster's Annex opens this week.

From CultureMap:

Although the number of restaurants in the Heights has increased dramatically over the past couple of years, the area still lacks for options when it comes to bars, especially compared to places like Montrose and Midtown. Places like Eight Row Flint, Johnny’s Gold Brick, and Lei Low have all been welcome additions, and the roster gets even stronger this week when Heights Bier Garten opens (the exact date depends on final inspection approvals from the City of Houston).

On the site of the former Longhorn Motors, this new project from The Kirby Group expands on the company’s success in Midtown with Wooster’s Garden by essentially splitting that bar into two separate concepts that are built around a fully landscaped courtyard.

The first is Heights Bier Garten which features 94 taps split between approximately 60 craft beers, 30 draft wines, and four ciders. Its companion property is Worcester’s Annex, a craft cocktail bar that will open approximately 20 house cocktails and a well-chosen whiskey selection. The entire property is set on a one acre lot that has 100 parking spaces. Best of all, it's not in the dry zone, which means patrons won't have to join a liquor club to buy a drink.

“We’ve always seen a lot of potential on Shepherd. I think history has shown, especially with Southern Goods, two pizza places, the Treadsack concepts and so forth, it’s has become an area that’s thriving with culinary energy,” operating partner Steven Salazar tells CultureMap. “We invested in the area (by purchasing the property) and are doing what we believe in, (which is) build concepts that add to the integrity and lifeblood of our culture in the city.”

More: http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-12-17-sneak-peek-heights-bier-garten-worcesters-annex-the-kirby-group

• The title was changed to Heights Bier Garten And Wooster's Annex 1433 N. Shepherd Dr.

Archived