Who Has Been To The Rio Grande Valley

Rio Grande Valley

I lived in McAllen from 1998 to 2003. I liked some things about it there, but then would come across very backward mentalities that made me realize I needed to leave.

Around 2000, a young gay man was taken to a field and shot dead in the head, with no meaningful investigation. Also, people from north of the Valley would be shocked at the amount of bisexuality, incest and adultery that goes on down there.

That said, I wish I could have a second home down there to eat the food, visit friends and go party.

I wouldn't know as I'm not involved the bisexual, gay and adulterous lifestyle. However, I did happen to read this. I guess Tyler is just as, if not more, risque than the RGV.

http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?...14&nav=menu90_3

TYLER

Woman Sentenced to Prison for Having Sex with Young Stepson

May 3, 2006 11:12 AM CDT

Woman Sentenced to Prison for Having Sex with Young Stepson

A 39-year-old woman who had a sexual relationship with her teenage stepson and later gave birth to their child has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't know as I'm not involved the bisexual, gay and adulterous lifestyle. However, I did happen to read this. I guess Tyler is just as, if not more, risque than the RGV.

http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?...14&nav=menu90_3

So in one place, you see a person executed for who they are, and the citizenry essentially shrugs it off; and in the other, people that aren't even related by blood consensually procreate and are severely punished.

I'd submit to you that life certainly isn't perfect in either setting, but I'd much rather live in the place where choice is punished with jail time rather than the place where something that is arguably not a choice is for all intents and purposes considered a capital offense.

As usual, oversimplifications are running rampant, for the sole purpose of supporting whatever agenda each side wants to follow. The unjustified bias just doesnt cease to amaze me, from both sides, equally.

As usual, oversimplifications are running rampant, for the sole purpose of supporting whatever agenda each side wants to follow. The unjustified bias just doesnt cease to amaze me, from both sides, equally.

Actually, I agree with you. These are each isolated incidents, albeit juicy tidbits that draw lots of media attention, but neither of them are in and of themselves a reliable indicators of the character of the areas in which they take place.

Archived