Houston-los Angeles

Dominax

Los Angeles has tall palm trees that reach over to 50 feet in the air that you can see from far distances.

This is what sort of topped Los Angeles becoming so popular among the pacific. But question is did the workers plant some of those that are among the streets.

LOS ANGELES

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/filmnotes/zor...es/PDRM4758.jpg

http://www.marcrouillon.com/photos/Los%20A...0(113_1333).jpg

1 out of 10 of Houston trees are palm trees but not seen as much around.

Do u think that workers should have plant trees that high like these in Houston at most areas.

I think they should.( Houston will look fantastic if they did )

Houston with taller palm trees

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/dom...hpalmtreess.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/dom...thpalmtrees.jpg

Yes, IMO adding tall palms along the freeway would be great...as you show in your pics.

The date palms along Post Oak in Uptown are beautiful, just not tall. And the tall palms in Highlands Village are nice.

To get that Hollywood look, they would have to invest in a ton of trees. That could sure dress up Richmond Rd., or Westheimer outside the loop.

Any other suggestions?

Houston used to have the tall palms prior to 1983. In 1983 after Hurricane Alicia, we had a major freeze that lasted over 100 hours. After it was over, the tall palms (filifilara robusta) were just tall sticks. I have been seeing them in the nurseries again so they are be planted, awaiting the opportunity to get killed again in the next big freeze. Most of the shorter palms that you see around Houston are hardy enough to handle our rare freezes. The other palm that is being planted all over that did not survive the 1983 freeze is the Queen Palm. More future sticks! Our tropical plant survival memory here is rather short.

Edited by gardenoaksguy

About those palms on the freeway near UH, how freaking myopic was the landscapers that planted those hideous plants right by UH's Ave. of Oaks. I mean do these losers even take a tour of where they are going to plant these things? Freaking stupid, probably some good old boy network at work getting these contracts awarded. Its all over Houston. And it really pisses me off. Someone needs to look at the bigger picture and create an overall plan.

About those palms on the freeway near UH, how freaking myopic was the landscapers that planted those hideous plants right by UH's Ave. of Oaks. I mean do these losers even take a tour of where they are going to plant these things? Freaking stupid, probably some good old boy network at work getting these contracts awarded. Its all over Houston. And it really pisses me off. Someone needs to look at the bigger picture and create an overall plan.

LOL. I kind of agree. Everytime I take the bus intown from U of H, it looks like there were no plans to plant those trees. I think they were in a rush to make I-45 from the airport somewhat pretty for the SuperBowl. Many people do not see it, but 288 near downtown will be beautiful in about 10 years I say. It's looks like a simple task, but if it was so simple, why don't I see this in other cities? A huge forest of trees in the middle of a freeway. I am just waiting for those baby trees to mature to catch that sight, and I am not even a fan of freeways.

Edited by WesternGulf

TxDOT has been putting themes to each of the freeways for several years. I-45 is green from Greenspoint through the Woodlands, 290 is maroon, since it heads to A&M, etc. 45 South has had a beach theme, with light blue paint and palm trees for years. A good example is the Beltway 8 interchange.