Grand Oaks

Parrothead

Just curious if anyone lives in the Grand Oaks subdivision or knows anything about it.

We have the opportunity to make an investment purchase in Grand Oaks; I have been out there before (near Barker-Cypress and Clay Rd.) and thought it was very nice....but a closer look revealed that some people's yards (more than I was comfortable with) looked kinda crappy (i.e. needed a good mowing and edging) and I wondered about their HOA, if it was very effective in the enforcement of the deed restrictions. The neighborhood itself is about 5 years old and the home in which we are interested (a 2000 sq. ft. Plantation home built in 1999) is being offered about $13 less (per square foot) than what they typically sell for on that street.

I get a little nervous when I see such a young subdivision, with such lofty appeal, failing to live up to the standards they seem to set forth.

Any thoughts?

http://www.grandoaks.net

The way people treat their homes and yards is usually a pretty good incidation of their feeling about the neighborhood.

yes, unfortunately, and i think it is contagious from homeowner (or renter) to homeowner...almost like a general malaise :(

Okay, I went back out there today to check it out. It looks like they are still building in the neighborhood. Whaddya think? I mean, it isn't Sienna Plantation, LOL, but it seems rather typical for a west Houston neighborhood. I did a neighborhood sales comparison with another neighborhood in the area called Berkshire (off of hwy 6 north of Clay) and though Berkshire's average home is higher in price, both neighborhoods offer the same amenities, and have seen a similar dropoff in home prices per square foot.

front.jpg

front2.jpg

driveway.jpg

entrance.jpg

entrance2.jpg

recreation.jpg

street.jpg

yard1.jpg

yard2.jpg

I really hate it when developers use those nasty yellow pine trees in these new developments(like the first pic). They get messy, look ugly, do not match with the homes, and die easily. In one of the neighborhoods where I used to live, about half of the pines died off over the years, and the remaining ones always looked sickly. Please stick to oaks....

oh. :blink: I grew up in Kingwood so I love pine trees :D

Well, like I said, it would be an investment property, we'd probably live in it for two years, max.

Well, those native pines are beautiful, and quite elegant, with their dark green needles, and such. The ones they use...well..usually turn yellow after a few short years.

Archived