Worst Urban Sprawl Cities

It seems as though this study is focused solely on the economic factors of sprawl, which is to say that New York and San Francisco don't have greater sprawl than Houston per se, but the economic impact on those cities due to sprawl is greater.

Edited by Sunstar

Sprawl was SO bad in the Houston area during the 60s and 70s that now a lot of once empty swaths of land are being filled up, somewhat mitigating the overall affect of low density development in the metropolitan area. It's still low density development, but like the large housing development just east of I-45 in Greenspoint, it's filling in huge swaths of long dormant and unused land.

:lol::lol::lol:

Dallas 5th worst? I can't wait for all the posts saying it's Ft. Worth's fault!

So, Houston is 11th out of 20? For all the bitching we do about suburbs, that ranking is decidedly average. Not great, but not bad.

.......and to think with all of Dallas' forward thinking and "ZONING", they have failed miserably. Let the beatings..........begiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnn ! :lol:

From this point on, Dallas-FW, will now be known as Sprawllas-FW.

Edited by TJones

.......and to think with all of Dallas' forward thinking and "ZONING", they have failed miserably. Let the beatings..........begiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnn ! :lol:

From this point on, Dallas-FW, will now be known as Sprawllas-FW.

I don't think we're in a position to be pointing fingers at anyone on this topic. Let's just be glad that for once we didn't end up at the top of a worst-of list.

I don't think we're in a position to be pointing fingers at anyone on this topic. Let's just be glad that for once we didn't end up at the top of a worst-of list.

5th to 11th is a considerable distance when you are only comparing 20 of anything chief. ;)B)

It seems as though this study is focused solely on the economic factors of sprawl, which is to say that New York and San Francisco don't have greater sprawl than Houston per se, but the economic impact on those cities due to sprawl is greater.

OK, so we have cheaper sprawl than Dallas? We are the WalMart of Sprawl. Dallas is the Target. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Dallas 5th worst? I can't wait for all the posts saying it's Ft. Worth's fault!

Honestly I wouldn't put the blame on anybody until I knew exactly what is being measured, and how it is being measured. For instance you could weight distances in many ways... does 1 person 20 miles out equal 2 10 miles out? I assume a model would be more complex than that but I don't see anything that say what is really being measured and I don't want to know bad enough to spend $25 on it.

Something is a little unusual about San Francisco being ranked so high for sprawl. Its not even clear what areas of SF are being measured, but it must be some sort of combination of two metros because no way SF is worse than San Jose.

Jason

Honestly I wouldn't put the blame on anybody until I knew exactly what is being measured, and how it is being measured. For instance you could weight distances in many ways... does 1 person 20 miles out equal 2 10 miles out? I assume a model would be more complex than that but I don't see anything that say what is really being measured and I don't want to know bad enough to spend $25 on it.

Something is a little unusual about San Francisco being ranked so high for sprawl. Its not even clear what areas of SF are being measured, but it must be some sort of combination of two metros because no way SF is worse than San Jose.

Jason

I like Jason's optimism, but the study apparently is about the economic impact of urban sprawl on major cities. So, what the study is saying, is that if Dallas didn't have as much sprawl as they do, they would be making more money in the area. San Francisco is ranked so high because of the value of the land in the area. The cost of living is much less here in Houston than Dallas, hence the lower ranking for us. No silverlining for Dallas on this one Jason. :( If all the proposed projects I have seen posted here for Dallas come to fruition, you guys will definately lose a couple of rankings.

Edited by TJones

http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stori...14/daily19.html

1. Los Angeles

2. Washington/Baltimore

3. San Francisco Bay

4.New York City

5. Dallas-Fort Worth

11. Houston-Galveston-Brazoria

17. San Antonio

Fill the rest of the cities in those blanks and put the main ones in bold keys

Oh yeah you know somewhat u can send this type of stuff to Rand McNally for their new update atlases to have charts and diagrams and for the top cities in the country

Edited by Dominax

It's also technically sprawl because its so far from the city center.

That's a very subjective opinion. By using that same standard, we could also assume Uptown is sprawl due to its geographical distance from downtown.

I think terms like "sprawl" and "mcmansions" go hand in hand as subjective perception.