Mod Listings

rps324

Mod listings

Since I have not been able to post any mod listings on the Houston Mod site, (due to technical difficulties) let me see if this link will work. It does not have the full photo gallery, but if any look of interest, you can always go on HAR and enter the MLS number or address and pull up more data.

These are sorted by price and of course include all areas.

Mod listings

Since I have not been able to post any mod listings on the Houston Mod site, (due to technical difficulties) let me see if this link will work. It does not have the full photo gallery, but if any look of interest, you can always go on HAR and enter the MLS number or address and pull up more data.

These are sorted by price and of course include all areas.

I've noticed that Meadowbrook area off of Bellfort with those big old Mod homes and the awfully low prices. Is the neighborhood that bad? Was this a sort of offshoot, copycat version of Glenbrook Valley? Any "name" architects build there? They look like well built homes.

Have you noticed any urban pioneers buying those homes yet?

I've noticed that Meadowbrook area off of Bellfort with those big old Mod homes and the awfully low prices. Is the neighborhood that bad? Was this a sort of offshoot, copycat version of Glenbrook Valley? Any "name" architects build there? They look like well built homes.

For the most part it looks like they have done a good job of enforcing their deed restrictions, with a few exceptions towards the freeway. There is that one house that is a total disaster for sale in there for $75,000. Most of the homes are $125,000 to $140,000 range. Apparently one person must have had that one and the one next to it because they both looked like hell and were painted (many moons ago) the same color scheme. The other one has already sold.

Just to clarify, are you talking about Meadowbrook, east of 45, by Glenbrook golf course?

or Meadowbrook Freeway, west of Monroe?

Meadowbrook was initially developed in the late twenties/early thirties - well before Glenbrook Valley - As a streetcar suburb (like Park Place). However it was not completely filled-in until much later.

The majority of the homes on the north side of Howard (Bellfort is West of 45) are pre-war.

The south side of Howard is mostly post-war tract homes and the old military housing called Sam Houston Gardens.

I think there are only a few homes that might be considered "mods" - primarily by the golf course.

Probably while they were developing Glenbrook Valley, some of the builders (or other builders unable to get into Glenbrook??) found lots to build on in Meadowbrook...to feed the Mod frenzy! :)

I don't know much about Meadowbrook Freeway but I sure haven't seen any houses in there that looked like the Mods in sec 1 of Glenbrook Valley.

Just to clarify, are you talking about Meadowbrook, east of 45, by Glenbrook golf course?

or Meadowbrook Freeway, west of Monroe?

I saw that first listing rps posted and saw the subdivision name of Meadowbrook and thought it was one that I had noticed on HAR with lots of mid-50s homes for under $100K. Actually, I believe I meant Overbrook instead. And, really most of those homes are just standard Ranch houses, not what would be considered Mods. I need to drive that area a bit to get a better idea of what's over there.

I was referring to the first listing on the list, it is meadowbrook freeway, which is sandwiched in-between Glenbrook Valley and Gulf Freeway oaks.

There are also some great mods in Meadowcreek Village, across 45. Supposedly one is a Mackie & Kamrath. None for sale right now though.

I saw that first listing rps posted and saw the subdivision name of Meadowbrook and thought it was one that I had noticed on HAR with lots of mid-50s homes for under $100K. Actually, I believe I meant Overbrook instead. And, really most of those homes are just standard Ranch houses, not what would be considered Mods. I need to drive that area a bit to get a better idea of what's over there.

Ahhh..I missed the looking at the listings part :D

that would have explained everything.

I don't think Overbrook is anyplace for mods though. Like you implied, standard ranch tract fare.

I can't say I have been up and down every street though.

About five years ago, my wife got a brick thrown at her car in there. She was pretty shaken up and will not drive into that neighborhood anymore. Though, I think the area has improved some since then.

There are also some great mods in Meadowcreek Village, across 45. Supposedly one is a Mackie & Kamrath. None for sale right now though.

I know somebody that grew up in Meadowcreek Village (East of Galveston Road and down Allendale)

and there are houses, in there, that people put a lot of money into. I could see it having some nice mods.

RPS, you are killing me ! I was literally salivating over the 4th from last house and 2nd from last house on that list. That big open model though,3rd from last, in Bunker Hill area, I would feel totally naked, way too open.

Where exactly is the one on Salerno located, $599,000, is that on south side of 59 ? I would be interested in just driving by it for now to take a look.

RPS, you are killing me ! I was literally salivating over the 4th from last house and 2nd from last house on that list. That big open model though,3rd from last, in Bunker Hill area, I would feel totally naked, way too open.

Where exactly is the one on Salerno located, $599,000, is that on south side of 59 ? I would be interested in just driving by it for now to take a look.

It's in Sugarland. I you click on the address on the listings it takes you to the map.

The Robindell house was either designed by Floyd, Jenkins or Taylor. Floyd was the developer of Robindell and Jenkins/Taylor were still working for him at that point. The three of them designed most of the houses in the neighborhood.

The Briarhurst house is a Floyd but has had some unfortunate alterations. I'll have to double-check but the house may be one that was listed in Better Homes & Gardens and was built for a prominent Houston attorney.

The house on Timberknoll is Charles "Tiny" Lawrence's house - one of the founders of CRS. He designed the house for himself. Tom Bullock's house (another CRS founder) is a few blocks away - another modern gem.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is interesting to see what has sold since last time and what is not selling and what seemed to be sold but is back on the market. What are all the status codes? I can guess at most of them but am not sure. There is A, S, T, PS, and OP, I think.

It looks like the Jenkins on Cliffwood finally has an option pending. I hope it does not get ruined. I thought the one on Walnut Creek with the Chinese Modern details was sold but it seems to be available again and seems to be a bargain. Another good deal is the one on Wynlea, by the airport. There are several good looking ones in Sharpstown also. I think the best Mod available right now is the one at 4810 N. Braeswood. It looks good now with all the furniture removed.

I have an offer pending on the Cliffwood house for a couple from Austin. I think it will be fine. I missed including the house in Meadowcreek Village with all the chinese details b/c it was pending, but came back up. The one on N. Braeswood is a really good one. It did get a little bit of water in Allison and that has scared off most of the people I had looking at it. Traffic noise is surprisingly minimal in that one. It has the poured terrazzo and such, it is really a good one.

The codes, which you will see towards the top, are a green "A" for active, "OP" is for option pending, (the 10 -14 day period where they do inspections and such), PS is pending continue to show, P is pending no further showings, S is sold, X is expired, T is terminated, W is withdrawn. When their status changes, they fall to the bottom of the list.

There are a couple on there I am surprised haven't sold. The one on Ames seems like a really good one, there are a couple of good ones in Braeburn Valley, I wish the ranch on Glencrest was more contemporary outside b/c that one has one of the best original vintage 1-owner interiors I have seen in a long time. It's also a pretty good buy. There is a new listing on a Spanish style house across the street from it that is not really mod, but very fun in a quirky 70's sort of way.

Selection seems to have improved slightly overall post Holiday.

I'm very glad to see it finally pending! I don't know why it took so long or what it will take to get it in good shape, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens there. I'm sure they will be introduced to some good people who can help them reach their goals.

Jason

It is interesting to see what has sold since last time and what is not selling and what seemed to be sold but is back on the market. What are all the status codes? I can guess at most of them but am not sure. There is A, S, T, PS, and OP, I think.

It looks like the Jenkins on Cliffwood finally has an option pending. I hope it does not get ruined. I thought the one on Walnut Creek with the Chinese Modern details was sold but it seems to be available again and seems to be a bargain. Another good deal is the one on Wynlea, by the airport. There are several good looking ones in Sharpstown also. I think the best Mod available right now is the one at 4810 N. Braeswood. It looks good now with all the furniture removed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived