Brick Streets

MartiMoser

Cleaning a closet yesterday, I came across a print I bought at Story Sloane's gallery on Dairy Ashford 2 Fathers days ago. I believe it to be about 1914-1915. 

My husband has been in The Bricklayers & Allied Craftsman Local 5, since 1953, 68 years of service. 

What struck me in the photograph is the fact that the tools of the trade haven't changed in 100 years. I'll try to photograph some of our tool "collection". 

IMG_20180909_185139.jpg

Back around 2000 I lived in the then just starting to regentrify Midtown, and was delighted to see that Freedmen's town still had its original brick streets. I was dismayed to hear a few years ago that many of these bricks were removed during a drainage improvement project, but happy to hear this year that they have been returned.

If I recall, I know that I made some posts on this in the forum in the past, but the fight to remove the bricks for improvements has been ongoing since at least 2006 (the plan was always to put them back after the project, but that still met resistance), but there was also evidence that many of the bricks were not original and some had been replaced over the years.

I  put every keyword in this morning I could possibly think of to no avail. I'm sure it's operator error. 

Now to the meat of the matter...don't get me started on our disposed history here in Houston. I found out yesterday another of our beloved restaurants , Guy's Meat Market, shut their doors after 60 years. It wasn't a case of paving Paradise to put in a parking lot,it was retirement. Still it always upsets me a little. Our oldest brother was sent to Vietnam in 1970. Our attempts to send care packages weren't going so good. Our dad stepped in on about the 4th month & said he'd handle. Mr. Guy put care packages together for us & my family will never forget. With a monthly box of jerkey, cigarettes & magazines, our Jack had lots of company when it arrived. (no disintegrated cookies, wet stamp, etc). 

They were located at O.S.T. & Griggs Rd 

6 hours ago, MartiMoser said:

I  put every keyword in this morning I could possibly think of to no avail. I'm sure it's operator error. 

Now to the meat of the matter...don't get me started on our disposed history here in Houston. I found out yesterday another of our beloved restaurants , Guy's Meat Market, shut their doors after 60 years. It wasn't a case of paving Paradise to put in a parking lot,it was retirement. Still it always upsets me a little. Our oldest brother was sent to Vietnam in 1970. Our attempts to send care packages weren't going so good. Our dad stepped in on about the 4th month & said he'd handle. Mr. Guy put care packages together for us & my family will never forget. With a monthly box of jerkey, cigarettes & magazines, our Jack had lots of company when it arrived. (no disintegrated cookies, wet stamp, etc). 

They were located at O.S.T. & Griggs Rd 

I miss Guy's. They had the best burgers. I went there during their final days of operation and bought a few of their final burgers, BBQ plates, and smoked turkey legs. My parents used their BBQ for my high school graduation party. They moved around over the years from what I've seen in old newspaper ads. Their final location was on OST between Yellowstone and Telge.

Exactly. I found article in The Press when I googled it. My dad's business was 5101 Holmes @ Cullen which became 610. And my husband had a lounge across from Wyatt's Cafeteria on O. S. T. called The Roxy in the early 70s. Old stomping grounds. I read they're going to auction some of the equipment. Hope I didn't miss it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Walked over to view progress at The Montrose Collective and noticed the brick street on Crocker by Katz Deli is beginning to look more neglected than usual. Anyone know the history of this particular section of brick street?
Some of bricks show markings of. BUFFALO BLOCK, GOFYVLE V IT B&T CO, OFY, THU RBRD......

Archived