The New I-10

I think it was reported in either the New Target thread or in the newspaper that the state was going to extend the feeder from Studewood down to Taylor to make access to the Target easier. I do not believe it will extend past Taylor, however. No room.

Sorry to divert the topic, but I did not see the new Target thread. Could someone let me know what/where the plans are and whether or not it is a standard store or a Super Target? Either way, sounds interesting. Thanks

As far as the Katy Freeway expansion (finally) goes, I just learned that it surpassed the Dallas High-Five project as the most expensive highway project in Texas (to date), as is appropriate.

I lived in Houston several years ago, and the Katy Freeway expansion was “coming” at that time. I am glad to see that it is finally happening! I hope the final result is a world class freeway, similar to the recent upgrades to the Southwest Freeway.

I drove the Katy daily and I keep remembering the constant “up and down” of the road as it crossed overpasses on the three lane roads that were at capacity. The new expansion will be great!

The Katy Freeway is the last major freeway to get expanded in Houston (after 59, 610, 45, etc.), but has some of the greatest need and was probably the most complex (and therefore will take the longest to complete)

As far as the Katy Freeway expansion (finally) goes, I just learned that it surpassed the Dallas High-Five project as the most expensive highway project in Texas (to date), as is appropriate.

I lived in Houston several years ago, and the Katy Freeway expansion was “coming” at that time. I am glad to see that it is finally happening! I hope the final result is a world class freeway, similar to the recent upgrades to the Southwest Freeway.

I drove the Katy daily and I keep remembering the constant “up and down” of the road as it crossed overpasses on the three lane roads that were at capacity. The new expansion will be great!

The Katy Freeway is the last major freeway to get expanded in Houston (after 59, 610, 45, etc.), but has some of the greatest need and was probably the most complex (and therefore will take the longest to complete)

Yeah, now we need to get to working on expanding the US 290, 288, 225 and finish the grand parkway

Actually, the High Five is child's play compared to the Katy Freeway project. The High Five main contract was $260 million, and other costs push the total to between $300 and $350 million.

The most recent estimate of the Katy Freeway project is $2.7 billion. There are four contracts over $200 million, including a $263 million contract. The $263 million contract is the largest single contract ever awarded by TxDOT. (I can't say for sure it is the largest after adjusting for inflation, but it probably is.)

http://www.katyfreeway.net/contracts.html

Both projects were/are built extremely quickly.

I was checking out the Katy Freeway project today and discovered that the 11-story Holiday Inn near Silber is about to be torn down.

I was checking out the Katy Freeway project today and discovered that the 11-story Holiday Inn near Silber is about to be torn down.

And not because of the freeway R.O.W. acquisition. They only lost their front parking lot to Txdot. They were going to build a parking garage on another section of the property to replace those lost spaces.

Courtesy Chevrolet bought it after the owners of the hotel went bankrupt during renovation.

Sort of sad since they just did tons of work upgrading the rooms - maybe 80% complete - and then the building is demolished. I guess someone got some good deals on a lot of that stuff in salvage.

Courtesy needed the land to expand their dealership, and evidently they couldn't use an 11 story building.

It might have made an impressive showroom (or parts department)! :lol:

Reading all of these posts about the new freeway, I decided to drive to my parents' house in Spring for Thanksgiving dinner down the new I-10. It will certainly be nice when finished. Parts of the mainlanes are already in use, as are some feeders.

I have to say though, I can think of no bigger waste of space and money than a four lane feeder road. Feeders have two purposes...facilitating entry and exit to the freeway and access to the businesses along the feeder. 3 lanes accomplishes this task well everywhere else, why not Katy? Very poor use of space and concrete.

TXDOT is the master of wasting space, concrete and billions of dollars. Perhaps one day, Houstonians - those who actually live in the city - will finally revolt against the constant destruction of our city for no reason other than to make the travel of non-Houstonians "through" Houston more convenient.

Perhaps we will revolt at the voting booths against the billions of dollars of our tax dollars that are spent to subsidize the total living expenses of all those suburbanites who work in Houston, but live outside of the city. What do I mean? I choose to live in the city, inside the loop. My housing cost is more than twice that of some suburbanites, per sq. ft. I'm willing to pay that cost in part for the convenience of living "in the city". The suburbanites should pay the cost of choosing to live 40 miles from "life", not me. They want a 4000 sq. ft. house for $300K, fine, they should suffer the consequences, not me.

The price to pay for living outside the beltway is giving up one-two hours of your life everyday to traffic. The billions being spent on the I-10 and others is meant to ease the pain and inconvenience (and therefore to subsidize the lifestyles) of those who already benefit from far cheaper housing costs in the suburbs and of course to greatly increase the property values of developers of those far-reaching subdivisions.

The price Houstonians pay is the never-ending destruction of our neighborhoods, trees, and hundreds of businesses and homes - just so John and Betty Jo Suburbanite can shave a few minutes off thier commute for a couple of years - before the freeways are clogged again from all of the new and newer development that will sprout from the new freeways. This pattern is not new. The results have always been the same. Suburbanites Win. Developers Win. The Concrete Roadbuilders Win. Houstonians Lose.

"Perhaps one day, Houstonians - those who actually live in the city - will finally revolt against the constant destruction of our city for no reason other than to make the travel of non-Houstonians "through" Houston more convenient."

Even though I generally agree with your comments, this is what's so stupid about a 4 lane feeder. It doesn't even help those who are going "through" the city, like an extra mainlane would.

Just frickin' stupid.

I drove down I10 today coming from Park Ten. You really get a sense of how wide the mainlanes will be now with the new Westbound lanes open. I was certainly surprised.

Also it appears the new looking CVS at the corner of 10 and Wirt might face the wrecking ball although id have to look at the plans to check on that.

edit: I guess not :(

Edited by CE_ugh

Reading all of these posts about the new freeway, I decided to drive to my parents' house in Spring for Thanksgiving dinner down the new I-10. It will certainly be nice when finished. Parts of the mainlanes are already in use, as are some feeders.

I have to say though, I can think of no bigger waste of space and money than a four lane feeder road. Feeders have two purposes...facilitating entry and exit to the freeway and access to the businesses along the feeder. 3 lanes accomplishes this task well everywhere else, why not Katy? Very poor use of space and concrete.

The Katy Freeway website shows the frontage roads all being 3 lanes, not 4. Have they changed the design?