Looks Like Galveston Has Some Competition

I think they are hilarious, too. At one time, when I was having one of my weekly (now daily) "I hate being a lawyer" moments, I decided that the moped vendors in Key West looked like they had the perfect job. You show up, rent $1500 mopeds to tourists for $30 (now $50) a day, then you go to a bar and get ____faced. The next day you do it again...or maybe you don't. Who cares!

I noticed that, closer to home, neither Galveston nor South Padre Island had moped vendors. This could be my early retirement! I set out to find the perfect spot to rent them, priced various mopeds, and tried to figure out why no one in Texas was making a killing on this lucrative, and brain dead business opportunity.

Alas, as a lawyer, I eventually started looking at the lawbooks to answer this question, and sadly, found my answer. It seems that in most every other state, mopeds can be ridden without a special license...in fact, in some states, mopeds with engines under 50cc are not even considered motor vehicles! Any one can ride them!

So, what does Texas do in light of this fact? They require a MOPED LICENSE to operate a moped in Texas! Not a driver's license. Not a motorcycle license. A stinkin' moped license! Because you need this special license, no tourist will ever have one, and you could incur liability for renting to people without one. And no insurance company will cover you unless you require renters to have this license.

Having found this early retirement killing ordinance, I slinked back to the office to meet my next client. :(

You could always rent out those weird looking VW go-carts. Or those little pedal wagons or whatever they are called.

And those pictures are very nice. It looks a lot like Galveston, except it has more foot traffic.

Edited by Talbot

Actually Galveston foot traffic isn't that bad. Maybe I went on the right day, but on spring and summer weekends, the island has some great pedestrian traffic on the Strand. Here are some pics I took this summer.

aa66uv.jpg

aa71yt.jpg

aa83wy.jpg

yeah, it's not bad, but still that has a tad bit more pedestrian activity.

Obviously, you have never been to Key West, or you couldn't possibly compare the two. I don't see huge crowds of strangers hanging out to watch a sunset together in Galveston. Nightlife, ummm Galveston has no such thing, Doing the Duvalle crawl in Key West is mandatory before your vacation ends. You can actually SEE fish in the water in Key West. There are no coral reefs to snorkel around in Galveston. You can get an actual "Cheeseburger in Paradise" In Key West. You can walk into the "wrong side of town",in Key West, where the worst that might happen to you is a makeover by a couple of queens. I don't think the Mayor of Galveston is gonna sit by you at a bar and have a beer with you. You can jump on a afternoon cruise to do a little gambling out in international waters, then come back and blow your winnings at one of the many local bars. Mardi Gras in Galveston, forget about it, try The FantasyFest. I don't think I've heard of anyone getting shot or killed at one of those parties. the Strand is ok, but has nothing on Duvalle St. I still have a VIP pass for Sloppy Joe's somewhere, very useful during springbreak and Fantasyfest. That place gets a ridiculous line around it, and with the card, there is no waiting, have to hurry up and get those drinks you know. If you want to compare architecture and climate, I can see where you are going there, both cities were pirate havens back in the 1800s, and both cities kind of grew together, but Galveston has lost alot of charm, where as Key West has always stood the test of time.

Edited by TJones

Yeah, the dynamics of the cities are different. Galveston functions as an actual city/tourist town, whereas Key West is just more of a tourist town. The population of Key West is about 25,000, and Galveston is roughly 60,000. Galveston is a bit more diverse because of its two univercities, Key West is 84% White. Median household income in Key West is also higher than Galveston. Charm is subjective though...