Colorado Springs Pictures

I just wanted to take the time and post some pics of Beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado. Many of you might not know, but this is the second largest city in the state after Denver. It's pretty sprawly at 185sq miles. Some of you may some of these pics already in the Opinions on Houston and Dallas thread or on SSC. But i wanted to dedicate a thread especially to Colorado Springs, my hometown. BTW, tell me what you think of the town. Hope you enjoy!

Let's start off on a day downtown Colorado Springs

image1.jpg

courtesy of Tierwestah. this shows part of downtown Colorado Springs

colorado%20springs%202.JPG

colorado_springs-lrg.jpg

I KNOW, I KNOW, OUR DOWNTOWN SKYLINE SUCKS FOR SUCH A LARGE CITY THIS SIZE!!!

colorado_springs_downtown.jpg

logo_coloradobuyerbroker.com_large.jpg

and a day on Tejon Street downtown. No one's out this day-too cold

LookingSouth-on-Tejon.jpg

headin' downtown C-Springs off Colorado Ave.

skyline16-frombridge.jpg

Part of Air Force Academy- northern outskirts of Colorado Springs

cid_aj3249_b.jpg

And Some more links to Colorado Springs

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...moor_valley.jpg

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...ustom_homes.jpg

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...dmoor_hills.jpg

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...=rockrimmon.jpg

And MY FAVORITE !!! (SCROLL RIGHT)

http://www.coloradosprings-realestate.com/...p_of_skyway.jpg

I KNOW, I KNOW, OUR DOWNTOWN SKYLINE SUCKS FOR SUCH A LARGE CITY THIS SIZE!!!

I think your downtown looks about right for a metro that size. I always look at the metro populations for predicting skylines, as they have a MUCH stronger correlation than the core city population. If you looked at the CO Springs city population and noted it was almost exactly the same size as Minneapolis, you'd be in for a surprise when you compared skylines. Well Minneapolis is a metro ~6 times larger.

Instead if you consider other metros that are down there near the 85th ranked Colorado Springs, you see places like Madison Wisconsin that have very similar skylines.

Of course, there are other factors such as geographic constraints and what the population was during previous skyscraper booms. Some older cities have an advantage because of this.

Jason

I just wanted to take the time and post some pics of Beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado. Many of you might not know, but this is the second largest city in the state after Denver. It's pretty sprawly at 185sq miles. Some of you may some of these pics already in the Opinions on Houston and Dallas thread or on SSC. But i wanted to dedicate a thread especially to Colorado Springs, my hometown. BTW, tell me what you think of the town. Hope you enjoy!

Let's start off on a day downtown Colorado Springs

colorado_springs_downtown.jpg

It looks like a beautiful place, but why does Colorado Springs remind me of the Greenspoint Area?

thanks for the comments DJ and Jason. Colorado Springs whole area comprises an area about 550,000. Like said before, it's the second largest city and metro in the state after Denver.

The two cities are only about 45 min-1 hr. apart. With the developmentof the cities between Colorado Springs and Denver, such as Castlerock and Monument, it has led People to envision Denver and Colorado Springs to eventually grow together which would become one huge metropolis somehat like Dallas/Ft. Worth. But that might not happen in any of our lifetimes!

I've been there a couple of times, It is a beautiful place. Air Force academy is nice also. I am taking my family there in a couple of years, we are going to drive it. The road there is quite a nice adventure. I have been thinking about moving there, but I wouldn't know what line of work to do there.

Colorado Springs is fairly large too. It has Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City around it, where there are alot of festivals such as Renassiance, and Territorial Days held there annually. The place does get pretty live wihen the Festivals come. Wish it was like that more year round

the job market in Denver CO is decent like most big metro cities but in Colorado Springs, it's more limited to Computer Technology and Government/Military. Around Colorado Springs, we have 5 military establishments: Air Force Academy, NORAD, Cheyene Mtn Air Base, Ft. Carson, Peterson, and Falcoln/Shreiver. Some of the jobs on base require a security clearance.

the job market in Denver CO is decent like most big metro cities but in Colorado Springs, it's more limited to Computer Technology and Government/Military. Around Colorado Springs, we have 5 military establishments: Air Force Academy, NORAD, Cheyene Mtn Air Base, Ft. Carson, Peterson, and Falcoln/Shreiver. Some of the jobs on base require a security clearance.

What is the cost of living like up there ?

On a cost of living index, overall, it's similar to Dallas TX. Slightly higher.

Here are the figures prior to 2004 for some selected cities:

Dallas TX : 98.4

Colorado Springs: 98.9

Denver CO : 103.00

Houston TX: 94.8

What doesn't make sense is that 1 bedroom apartments in Houston TX seem to rent more than the 1 bedrooms in Colorado Springs and to stay inside Loop 610, the prices are astronomical. I don't believe Houston is that low on the index any more.

On a cost of living index, overall, it's similar to Dallas TX. Slightly higher.

Here are the figures prior to 2004 for some selected cities:

Dallas TX : 98.4

Colorado Springs: 98.9

Denver CO : 103.00

Houston TX: 94.8

What doesn't make sense is that 1 bedroom apartments in Houston TX seem to rent more than the 1 bedrooms in Colorado Springs and to stay inside Loop 610, the prices are astronomical. I don't believe Houston is that low on the index any more.

I would think Colorado Springs is more geared toward the family life, instead of the Yuppie scene.

To me, C/S is primarily a place for families. Very conservative, christian place. Very sprawly and suburban. It's 185 sq miles but mainly made up of neighborhoods. Colorado Springs basically looks like one large master-planned community with a small downtown core that looks like it should serve a city of 10,000 people or less, not a city like C/S that's close to 1 million people.

To me, C/S is primarily a place for families. Very conservative, christian place. Very sprawly and suburban. It's 185 sq miles but mainly made up of neighborhoods. Colorado Springs basically looks like one large master-planned community with a small downtown core that looks like it should serve a city of 10,000 people or less, not a city like C/S that's close to 1 million people.

That does it. Only a good place to visit and get back home. ;)

[sNIP] small downtown core that looks like it should serve a city of 10,000 people or less, not a city like C/S that's close to 1 million people.

I'm really confused now. Above you quoted the figure 550,000, and that'd put the metro at the 85th largest in the US so we appear to have the exact same data. Now you've got a a "1 million" figure?

Again, if you look at metros with population figures around the same size their downtowns are very similar. Can you give me an example of a city you're comparing it to that you're expecting such a big downtown?

The closest metro in population to CO Springs is Charleston NC. Its downtown is right about the same size as CO Springs in my opinion, although I haven't visited CO Springs in a couple years. I think my example of Madison Wisconsin at ~530k people is also a good example, especially because its the 2nd largest metro and city in a state even bigger than Colorado.

I just would like to know what city you're looking at to expect so much out of downtown? If there is one I think it may be the exception instead of the rule.

Jason

okay i consider anything over half a million mark to be on it's way to one million. I was figurativily speaking. Sorry, Colorado Springs is only 550-560,000 metro wise and about 350,000 city wise.

And BTW, this isn't Utah, we don't have alot of mormans here!

Archived