HAIF:base

editor

So in another thread the suggestion was made (I think by Montrose1100) of creating a compansion web site that would allow people to view and enter the deails of Houston buildings and search results and such. Kind of like Houston Architecture Info, but interactive. And a little like Emporis, but with all the information being free.

I'm really taken with the idea and once I get my computer back from the Apple Store I plan to work on it.

So, my question is -- what features would you like to see in the new site?

Here's a quick list off the top of my head:

> Users can enter their own buildings.

> Search on any text.

> Search by architect, date, etc...

> Links to recent news.

> User-uploadable photos.

> Rate the buildings.

> Building trivia.

> Links from each building to a separate thread on HAIF for discussing the building.

> Users can update/correct building information.

Anything else?

haif's own little wiki...i like it! :)

Very much like a wiki, except it won't be a free-for-all. Suggested changes will have to be approved before they can become "live." Wikipedia is a disaster of misinformation. We don't want that happening here.

I think it may be easier to choose a group of editors that you can trust so that everything does not have to go through an approval process. Then people could pm the editors if they have information that could be put on a building page.

"(I think by Montrose1100)" <_<

Edited by YakuzaIce

I think it may be easier to choose a group of editors that you can trust so that everything does not have to go through an approval process. Then people could pm the editors if they have information that could be put on a building page.

"(I think by Montrose1100)" <_<

Sorry for giving credit where is isn't due. I'm still working off my Palm Pilot, and going back and forth between messages is something of a chore.

Anyway, it's a good idea to have a group of other editors working on the approval process. PMs wouldn't even be necessary. I could put in a system so that once a day it would e-mail the editors if there have been any changes, and then they could log in and make approvals at their leisure.

I think we're moving in the right direction.

Any other suggestions? Anything from other web sites that you've been disappointed with that maybe we can do better here?

Sorry for giving credit where is isn't due. I'm still working off my Palm Pilot, and going back and forth between messages is something of a chore.

Anyway, it's a good idea to have a group of other editors working on the approval process. PMs wouldn't even be necessary. I could put in a system so that once a day it would e-mail the editors if there have been any changes, and then they could log in and make approvals at their leisure.

I think we're moving in the right direction.

Any other suggestions? Anything from other web sites that you've been disappointed with that maybe we can do better here?

Oh no, all the credit is due my friend ;)

Its just there worried you would appoint me as some kind of editor, but the thing is, it will be public. Of course, you'll want someone (Like Yakuza said, that you trust) Like JMancuso to make sure someone isn't like "F* word this building sucks!"

*Suggestions:

Be able to put up facts on the building, for example, put to rest the urban legend of the heigh restriction on the JP Morgan Chase Tower, or that the original floor plan grew and shrank during the entire process. (Hence the observation deck on the 60th floor.)

To upload photos is a great idea, I know we all have alot on our computers (Hopefully, there your own.) to post up.

Edited by Montrose1100