Aaron Upset At Astros' Lack Of African Americans

Guest danax

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If removing barriers is affirmative action than I am for it. If hard quotas are involved then I would be against affirmative action. The definition of "affirmative action" is very grey.

I agree, but unfortunately it seems that hard quotas are used as the tactic to break down barriers. Once the barriers are broken, the quotas are not dropped - and the system sours.

I agree, but unfortunately it seems that hard quotas are used as the tactic to break down barriers. Once the barriers are broken, the quotas are not dropped - and the system sours.

What sector actually uses hard quotas these days? Specifically who?

• 2 weeks later...
What exactly is a Latino, anyway?

I read an essay recently that suggested Latino Month was a farce.

Becuase there really is not a united "Latino" culture. There is Mexican, Cuban, Brazilian culture, etc. But there is not true "Latino" affinity between these cultures, becuase they truly are their own culture.

A prime example is lumping Cubans in with Mexicans. They don't see eye-to-eye at all, yet "we" lump them together as "Latinos".

this is a totally different subject (but kinda related) ... i often flip through the channels and come across gazillion (well, maybe not that many, but a lot) hispanic channels. my question?

why do english stations broadcast (and some even close-caption) in spanish, but NONE of the spanish channels broadcast/close-caption in english?

that sux!

Interesting post west20th. "If removing barriers is affirmative action than I am for it". I love how you phrased that. That is exactly what it was and is for. I have found you and I actually agree on many things but I can't say I completely agree with you on this. I just don't believe we are at a point in this country where it is no longer needed despite the progress that has been made.

On a somewhat similar note but not related to you west20th, I love how you mentioned judging. Prejudging is a interesting thing and I always get a kick out of when people hear the words Affirmative Actions they AUTOMATICALLY assume the person isn't qualitfied. I love how people hear the word Christian and AUTOMATICALLY assume we are all Republican. I love how we conviently forget who has benefited the most from Affirmative Actions (white women). I loved how Bill O'Reilly made it seem like ONLY Conservative Christian Republicans supported the phrase "Merry Christmas" and anyone outside of that particular group didn't ;).

Anyway, just to stay on subject, I'm glad they signed Preston. ;)

you make some really good points. additionally when race is introduced it is always black versuse white. but what about all the other races, nationalities, ethnicities too. they have benefited from a lot of this in many ways too.

as one voice, i just wish people would treat people as they would like to be treated. if everyone could HONESTLY say that they do that, this country would be a better place.

as for your comments about republicans and christians, you are dead on. but i think it is because the religious right (and i am not trying to offend here) has co-opted religion ...and even God. they have this smugness that is almost like "we're superior to you heathens." not all of them. but many.

rambling here, so i'll stop now.

Archived