Fuddrucker's Old Building

Pumapayam

Fuddrucker's Old Building - Demolished. This is the lot between Richmond and Westhiemer off Chimney Rock.

Anyone have any idea what will go in it's place. A new restaurant?, McMansions?, McTownhomes?, McDonalds?

Just curious, I noticed that it was demo'd about 3 weeks ago.

• Like 1

Isn't Fuddruckers on Fountainview?

Or was this a previous facility?

Nope, but Fountainview runs parrallel to Chimney Rock and they are one block from each other, easy to get them confused.

The Fuddruckers, that I am refering to is on Chimney Rock, next to the Jack in the Box and across from Woodrow's and Taco Cabana.

If I get around to it, I will post a picture.

Edited by Pumapayam

This is the lot between Richmond and Westhiemer off Chimney Rock.

Anyone have any idea what will go in it's place. A new restaurant?, McMansions?, McTownhomes?, McDonalds?

It's being demolished because the building burned a few weeks ago. That place is too close to chimney rock for a McMansion.

This is the lot between Richmond and Westhiemer off Chimney Rock.

Demo'd by a 2 alarm fire, right before or after Rita I think. I was stuck in the traffic jam. That was the first Fudd's in Houston, ca. 1981, when they were only in S.A. and Houston. The octagonal building (stucco? adobe? tin?) was a throwback to early Texas settler's architecture. There used to be remnants of such homesteads in Brazoria and Matagorda cos.

Edited by brucesw

I've never been to Fuddruckers so I have no idea what they serve.

hamburgers - pretty good (but then they changed their menu...)

they had a big self-serve vegetable bar (lettuce, tomato, etc) and all the squeeze cheese you could handle :)

Did they also tear down the one at Westheimer & Kirkwood? There was a seedy-looking strip center on that corner that's finally been torn down. I've never been to Fuddruckers so I have no idea what they serve.

Should still be there, the shopping center is gone like you said though.

Should still be there, the shopping center is gone like you said though.

No, the shopping center is still there for the most part. It has been foamed and stuccoed. They tore down the north west corner of the center, probably for a pad site. It looks like the homeless people living behind the dumpster have moved on.

Fuddruckers is a good hamburger restaurant. About a year ago at the Chimney Rock location, I overheard a couple next to me criticizing everything on the menu. Then the woman suggested they leave and "go to one of the chains along the freeway," as she said it. I guess a lot of people had that attitude since they went out of business.

The 3100 Chimney Rock location was an outstanding structure. According to Stephen Fox, in the American Institute of Architects Houston Architectural Guide, it was built in 1980 for Cou-Cou's restaurant and Clovis Heimsath Associates was the architect. It was a Texas-German building type similar to the octagonal shaped Vereines-Kirche in Fredericksburg. It was appropriate both for its location in Texas and for its use as a meeting place /outdoor beer garden. Fox states that the building had a convivial note of authenticity. Hopefully it will be rebuilt with an equal amount of thoughtfulness.

• The title was changed to Fuddrucker's Old Building