Is This Just A Slump?

debmartin

i have seen this discussed before, most recently just after the superbowl when things in houston slowed down overall. i could not help noticing that things are slowing down again on this forum. there are around 20 topics that received new posts between sept. 17-30, and 9 topics that last received posts between sept. 1-17. off-topic and way-off-topic stay current and change quite rapidly, often before a topic even runs out of steam.

it is not my intention to be critical of anyone or of the forum, this is only my own observations. yesterday someone joined the forum after being an onlooker for over a year - in his opening post this new member said he missed the "old days" of certain word wars. having myself been on the receiving end of several word wars i felt compelled to disagree, but it seems the jury's still out on that. getting new members is always great but what happens to the old ones?

i have only started a topic once or twice and try to reply to as many posts as i feel i am qualified to reply to. life is hectic and at the rate our city is growing people may find less time on their hands to keep up with forums - perhaps why the activity seems to start and stop.

debmartin

Guest waynelorentz

Between September 17 and 30, there were 944 new posts.

Between September 1 and 17 there were 1,618 new posts.

There are currently 3,557 posts in the forum.

Between September 17 and 30, there were 89 new topics started.

Between September 1 and 17 there were 167 new topics started.

There are currently 397 topics in the forum.

Not necessarily, but certainly more than 20.

There were more than 25,000 posts in the old HAIF.

But wasn't that a corse of 2 years?

----------------

On another note,

It seems whenever I have the time to sit down (at home) and comment and so on, so does everyone else. I was worried I would miss out on some important, fun conversations when I left Houston 3 weeks ago. But apparently not, because nothing seems to be new. (as in a new exciting projecct, Building, Highrise etc). But the site is still alive, and before it crashed, we were all heading in the wrong direction. Not everyone, I won't say its anyone's fault, but I can partly blame myself. But now that the site is new, and improved, I am getting on it with the right foot.

I think alot of the informative posters left before the big crash. Most of the posts up until then were uninformative and consisted of pissing contests. This forum was beginning to look like skyscapercity.com, and I DESPISE that place. I think the forumers, to date, have done of good job of not bashing other cities much anymore. I hope it stays that way for good.

deb, many of the conversations of late lack the depth and thought that we had before the crash. it seems that some of the more informative posters became tired of lame one liner commentary that didn't contribute to many of the discussions. many people may still be lurking around waiting for the good stuff to return.

there was a sense of agreeable disagreement on issues that were well thought out and thought provoking. (you had some very interesting posts i remember). it seems that many posters couldn't grasp that sort of friendly debate without seeing red.

i've contemplated repeating (attempting anyway) past threads; however, i think that future "meaty" postings will have to occur organically.

Bach,

I totally agree that some posts that are made have the depth of water on a salt lake bed and I cringe everytime I see those people post.

While a few people may be lurking or waiting for that "good juicy" post, I think it's also a matter of just finding the "right" topic and combination of people to make the right posts.

Personally I don't think mouthbreathers should be on this board. :)

Ricco

People who have that blank look on their face and breath through their mouths. :D

sorta like a goober who went to a topless bar for the first time and isn't being very subtle about it.

I think that a post that doesn't have more than a single sentence and does state SPECIFICALLY to a post, OR contribute to an conversation, then it should be deleted. :D

Ricco

sorta like a goober who went to a topless bar for the first time and isn't being very subtle about it.

Ok - this is only one sentence so you can delete it if you wish but I am rolling on the floor laughing at that visual - I guess I know too many people like that!

Thanks for the laugh!! (ok - it was techinically two sentences)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived