Downtown Houston Festivals

Hey, what is it with Houston and downtown festivals where the city blocks off large portions of public streets and parks and then requires the public to pay for access. Major cities all over the country have public arts festivals and they are free. What do you think - Ripoff or public good?

I don't know what is worse...

Having to pay just to walk inside, or having to buy coupons so you can get a drink.

But the city charges these groups a fee, and they would not be doing it if it were illegal.

Stuff like this happens all the time. Not long ago we were denied entry into Sesqucentenial Park due to a private event.

The revenue generated by these events along with added security since the city controls the access is better for the city.

I think the city running the logistics of the event make it a little easier to put these festivals.

I do aggree the admission cost and using coupons for food is a little annoying.

As for as the prices, it's not much different than other festivals around the country.

Have you ever been to Jazz Fest in New Orleans? It makes the Houston events seem like a cheap afternoon.

I always assumed that the downtown Houston festivals were behind fences in order to keep unauthorized people from wandering in and selling thier own stuff. If they can do it on the freeway feeders, they'll do it at a festival.

I never understood the charge, though. If the whole idea is to attract people, you don't charge them. I've never lived in a city other than Houston that charged an admission fee for festivals.

Galveston for Mardi Gras?

They charge.

Several towns back in Lousiana charge for festivals.

The only large festivals I know don't charge admission if Mardi Gras is Louisiana. And this is why it's known as the greatest free show.

Back in the day.... all the Houston festivals were free. That includes international festival downtown, westheimer art festival, etc. And there were a reasonable number of people who showed up.

Then it seemed like the world exploded and these events became way overcrowded. That's about the time they started charging. Don't know if it was to reduce the crowds or if they figured that if that many people were coming, a good percentage of them would be willing to pay. Or maybe it was both those reasons.

In any case, there ARE lots of people willing to pay so I don't see them changing their strategy on that issue any time soon!

Galveston for Mardi Gras?

They charge.

Several towns back in Lousiana charge for festivals.

The only large festivals I know don't charge admission if Mardi Gras is Louisiana. And this is why it's known as the greatest free show.

I have been to arts festivals in Denver, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Boston, New York all were free.

Back in the day.... all the Houston festivals were free. That includes international festival downtown, westheimer art festival, etc. And there were a reasonable number of people who showed up.

Then it seemed like the world exploded and these events became way overcrowded. That's about the time they started charging. Don't know if it was to reduce the crowds or if they figured that if that many people were coming, a good percentage of them would be willing to pay. Or maybe it was both those reasons.

In any case, there ARE lots of people willing to pay so I don't see them changing their strategy on that issue any time soon!

You seem to correct I just don't see how the city can get away with charging folks for access to public thouroughfares. Has anyone ever challenged this? A few years ago they had the library fenced off during the International Festival. We arrived and told the gate keeper we wanted to go to the library and they let us in free with no problem. Perhaps, those willing to pay they take the money from but if you want in without paying will they keep you out?

Many festivals used to be free before the expense of putting on the festival skyrocketed.

The City of Houston charges a fee to cover wear and tear on its facilities. It is also to cover cleanup in the areas around the festival where our thoughtful citizens deposit their trash before driving home.

The festival itself must provide security, since the city does not pay for the police to be there. They must also pay for waste removal, vendor booths, electricity, insurance, entertainment and advertising. If this is all built into the vendor's fee, the fee will be too high, and vendors will not come.

Since 2001, security and insurance costs have become prohibitive. It is a sign of the times.

Edited by RedScare

A friend called me Sunday morning to see if I wanted to go to the Bayou City Art Festival so I went. It was $8 to get in and the ticket said it benefits charities. Didn't say which ones, or what percentage or anything else so who knows.

There definitely were lots of cops, and they did provide electricity so yeah, they have expenses. I'm sure they take out all their expenses before giving any money to charities, on top of which since they don't specify which charities, I figure it's totally questionable.

I bought a burger for $5 (the food choices were incredibly paltry!) which was so pitiful, I wouldn't have fed it to my dog! Funny thing, the booth I bought it from was raising funds for a pet charity (spay/neuter I think).

The art, however, was wonderful. There was a large variety of things to see, the weather was fabulous and it wasn't very crowded. So, that brings up another question -- with the weather being up there among the top 10 days of the year, you'd think more people would have come. Was it the $8 that kept them away? Sort of hard to believe in this city where they charge at least that much for home shows, antique shows and the like at the Reliant & George R Brown.

I over heard a converstation between a couple of vendors comparing attendance to last year when one of them said you could hardly move in the city hall reflecting pool area because of the crowds. They were speculating on what was responsible for thinning out the crowds this year and the two ideas they mentioned were gasoline prices and Hurricane stress. Could be.

I bought a framed photograph and the seller was very appreciative. I had a great day, even if the lunch and entrance fees were a bit high. Oh well, I just chalk it up to current cost of entertainment. Besides, it was fun hanging out with my friend!

The art, however, was wonderful. There was a large variety of things to see, the weather was fabulous and it wasn't very crowded. So, that brings up another question -- with the weather being up there among the top 10 days of the year, you'd think more people would have come. Was it the $8 that kept them away? Sort of hard to believe in this city where they charge at least that much for home shows, antique shows and the like at the Reliant & George R Brown.

I over heard a converstation between a couple of vendors comparing attendance to last year when one of them said you could hardly move in the city hall reflecting pool area because of the crowds. They were speculating on what was responsible for thinning out the crowds this year and the two ideas they mentioned were gasoline prices and Hurricane stress. Could be.

Lowspark! Wake up!

There was a football game yesterday...71,000 people. There was a little baseball being played at Minute Maid...another 43,400. Everyone else was either at a sports bar or a friend's house watching the game. Arts Fest picked a REALLY bad weekend for their festival.

• 4 weeks later...
Lowspark! Wake up!

There was a football game yesterday...71,000 people. There was a little baseball being played at Minute Maid...another 43,400. Everyone else was either at a sports bar or a friend's house watching the game. Arts Fest picked a REALLY bad weekend for their festival.

Only thing, Arts Fest didn't know the Astros were going to be playing that night when this event was scheduled months ago. Luck of the draw. I don't mind paying to get into a festival. Houston runs very nice, well-planned festivals that usually go off without a hitch. Come on folks, $8 will get you 1 beer and practically nothing else at the stadiums.

I agree that ArtsFest has to plan a ways ahead for these things, and given the Astros' history, it is normally a safe bet that they won't be playing in October. My point was really that there was nothing Arts Fest could do about the conflict, AND it is unfair to slam Houstonians for wanting to watch the Astros in the playoffs over an arts festival, given the rarity of that happening.

I don't think $8 is too much to spend either, for what you get. To watch the Texans lose, I get to pay $54.50 for endzone seats, $15 to park, and $7 for each and every beer consumed.

$8 for Arts Fest? Bring it on!