1987 Mediatrix Market Profile for Houston Radio

Ross

Wow! Interesting stuff. I'm not so much into radio (the business side) as I am into popular culture history.

I'm writing a history of the part of town I grew up in. Part of that history includes entertainment options, such as movie theaters, etc. So I do include a brief mention of some of the first radio stations in Houston, what they played and how they dramatically increased in number after WWII. One radio station - KLEE (now KILT) - built four transmission towers across the highway from what would be my high school. People were always asking me when they were erected. I was finally able to find out (1948) just the other day thanks to an obscure post in the Houston Radio History blog. This report might also fill in some pop culture gaps.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
On 6/5/2018 at 10:46 PM, Firebird65 said:

One radio station - KLEE (now KILT) - built four transmission towers across the highway from what would be my high school. People were always asking me when they were erected. I was finally able to find out (1948) just the other day thanks to an obscure post in the Houston Radio History blog. This report might also fill in some pop culture gaps.

Firebird, I've always appreciated your contributions to HAIF. I also grew up in the Aldine area. My parents' house was in Hidden Valley. I well remember standing in our front yard (probably when I was about five years of age) and wondering what those strange rows of red lights were to the north. I didn't realize it was north but I knew they were in the direction of my great aunt's house in Conroe. 🙂 There were very few trees in the area to block the view at that time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 8:20 AM, Specwriter said:

Firebird, I've always appreciated your contributions to HAIF. I also grew up in the Aldine area. My parents' house was in Hidden Valley. I well remember standing in our front yard (probably when I was about five years of age) and wondering what those strange rows of red lights were to the north. I didn't realize it was north but I knew they were in the direction of my great aunt's house in Conroe. 🙂 There were very few trees in the area to block the view at that time.

Thanks!

Archived