Houston Master-planned Communities

The Woodlands was originally designed to be annexed by Houston.

Cinco Ranch will not be I think.  Houston would have to annex Katy first.

Why would they have to annex Katy. Cinco Ranch isn't in Katy. Katy has its own city limits with a population of only 12,000.

I think that Houston should stop annexing and start focusing on a higher quality of life for its residents.

But that's just me -- an old coot.

I'm not sure I see why they're mutually exclusive. An advantage of Houston being able to annex its suburbs is that helps keep the tax base up. Cities who are unable to annex suburbs suffer as residents, and money, move to the suburbs. The city tax base suffers, which makes city services worse, which scares away more residents. You get the picture. Houston is fortunate in being able to keep taxing areas such as Kingwood.

That's a very good point, Subdude, but I also agree with Space City that in the process of annexing surrounding communities, the city should have a plan in place to provide better infrastructure (if it doesn't already exist) including park acreage, modern drainage and, perish the thought, sidewalks. Settegast, for example, is an impoverished area and the lack of basic infrastructure in that area of the city only makes the area look more desolate than it is, which doesn't do a good job of promoting commercial opportunity or even basic retail access.

• 5 months later...
I'm not sure I see why they're mutually exclusive. An advantage of Houston being able to annex its suburbs is that helps keep the tax base up. Cities who are unable to annex suburbs suffer as residents, and money, move to the suburbs. The city tax base suffers, which makes city services worse, which scares away more residents. You get the picture. Houston is fortunate in being able to keep taxing areas such as Kingwood.

What Subdude is forgetting the reasons people moved OUT of the reach of Houston to begin with: the mediocre schools, quality of life issues, and the belief that Houston government will mismange their tax dollars. Why should we expect them to have any empathy for Houston anyway? I doubt anyone in Katy adjacent or Kingwood would welcome annexxation with anything less than scorn.

What Subdude is forgetting the reasons people moved OUT of the reach of Houston to begin with:  the mediocre schools, quality of life issues,  and the belief that Houston government will mismange their tax dollars.  Why should we expect them to have any empathy for Houston anyway? I doubt anyone in Katy adjacent or Kingwood would welcome annexxation with anything less than scorn.

The problem with annexation is that a smaller region can be managed more efficiently than a larger one. It seems that the city of Houston is barely able to provide city services to the areas under its jurisdiction (consider the condition of many of the roads). When a new region is annexed, city's tax base increases but so does the area to be managed with new tax dollars.

I think that annexation is a lazy way of increasing tax base. Those cities that are not so eager to swallow smaller cities are forced to provide higher quality of life within the city limits in an attempt to keep current businesses and residents inside the city and luring new ones. In other words, they have to increase the tax base within the existing city limits.

Can a city annex outside of the county? Has Houston? I would think it could and probably has happened. I just cant think of any instances.

If Houston annexed Pearland would that reduce my taxes? I know I'm paying more in Brazoria than my friends in the Heights with the same value of home.

KZ with a very good and poignant post. That's it in a nutshell. San Antonio and Phoenix have the same issues as well. Los Angeles had those issues too in the 70s.

What I like is the fact that the city of Houston has decided to take a step back from annexation for a while (they have no plans to annex anything for the next four years) while Mayor White has talked about addressing the lack of infrastructure in some of our last major annexations, such as in Alief, Acres Homes and the outer Fifth Ward.

I also like the fact that I'm seeing more streets being repaired than I did four years ago.

Can a city annex outside of the county? Has Houston? I would think it could and probably has happened. I just cant think of any instances.

If Houston annexed Pearland would that reduce my taxes? I know I'm paying more in Brazoria than my friends in the Heights with the same value of home.

Yes there are parts of Houston in Ft. Bend and Montgomery counties. There may also be a few patches of Houston reaching into Brazoria County as well but I'm not totally sure on that. There is no rule that says a city can only be in one county. The city of Katy actually has land in three different counties and it's not really that big.

Now as for annexing Pearland that can't happen. Pearland is an incorporated city. An incorporated city cannot annex another incorporated city; it can only annex unincorporated land. There are unincorporated developments around Pearland that people generally consider "Pearland" but don't fall within Pearland's city limits, and those could be annexed. But they could be annexed by Pearland just as they could be annexed by Houston.

As for your taxes, if you are in an unincorporated area of Brazoria County that is annexed by Houston, property taxes paid to your school district and Brazoria County would not change. You'd still be in Brazoria County and you'd still be in the same school district. Your taxes might go up as you'd be also paying property tax to the city of Houston. But if you live in an area within the city limits of Pearland then it doesn't matter because Houston can't annex you anyway unless Pearland first unincorporated itself, which is extremely rare except in the very smallest of towns.