Height Of A Pier And Beam Structure For Home

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Would some heights residents be able to assist with the following:

Does anyone know what neighborhood E 13th 1/2 belongs to?

Shady acres? Norhill? Woodland Heights? Sunset Heights? Houston Heights?

Does anyone know what is the recommended heighth of a pier and beam structure and has anyone had any challenges with the pier and beam being lower that the recommended heighth.

Is the only solution lifting the house and does anyone have any challenges with lifting the house?

What is recommended for a heights home? Pier and beam or slab? Why, Why not?

Has anyone had any challenges with the older plumbing pipes?

Any input is strongly appreciated.

Future heights resident that will maintain this beautiful area.

What block of East 13 1/2th are you referring to?  The section between Oxford and Studewood would be the Stude subdivision.  The section over near North Main Street is not in Norhill or Woodland Heights, but I don't know the name.

Thank you for your reply.

The block I am referring to is between oxford and studewood

(700 block of 13th 1/2).

Per HCAD and Houston Heights org, it appears this area is known as the KUTSCHBACH neighborhood. Does that sound familiar or ring a bell?

Also, can someone share some experiences about plumbing, foundation per the initial post.

Thank you very much.

Hope you have a great week.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Would some heights residents be able to assist with the following:

Does anyone know what neighborhood E 13th 1/2 belongs to?

Shady acres? Norhill? Woodland Heights? Sunset Heights? Houston Heights?

Does anyone know what is the recommended heighth of a pier and beam structure and has anyone had any challenges with the pier and beam being lower that the recommended heighth.

Is the only solution lifting the house and does anyone have any challenges with lifting the house?

What is recommended for a heights home?  Pier and beam or slab? Why, Why not?

Has anyone had any challenges with the older plumbing pipes? 

Any input is strongly appreciated.

Future heights resident that will maintain this beautiful area.

OK, my architect buddy says there are no ordinances that require a certain level for pier and beam, unless you are in the flood plain. Then you are required to have your finished floor above the flood plain. His recommended height for pier and beam construction is high enough to do work in the crawl space. He usually puts the finished floor at about 3 feet, leaving a crawl space of 20-24 inches.

My pier and beam house is only about a foot above the ground, so it means I'm not crawling under there, but a contractor might. ;)

If you lift the house, you might consider new piers, since old piers are generally just blocks on the ground. New piers usually go down about 8 feet. You'll never have to re-level a house with these piers.

You can put a pier and beam OR a slab in the Heights. However, the slab home may not fit the neighborhood. If you are going for the elevated look, a slab would be very expensive, since you would have to fill it in up to the 3 foot level.

If you lift the house, you'll have to extend or replace the plumbing. I have not had problems with my plumbing, except that the water pipes are only 1/2 inch, causing lower water pressure.

What do you mean by "lower than recommended heit, BTW? Is it just that it makes the house look squatty, or a contractor doesn't want to crawl under it? I wouldn't lift it unless you also need to level it.

Only problem with being lower than the "recommended" height is being able to get under there to do repairs or improvements.

Plumbing under pier and beam houses is great...easy access and plenty of room to work as long as it is at least 2' up off the ground.

Only thing I can think of to watch out for with pier and beam houses is drainage. If there's a low spot under the house, and rainwater collects and stands for extended periods, it can lead to the floor/subfloor rotting out.

Only problem with being lower than the "recommended" height is being able to get under there to do repairs or improvements.

Plumbing under pier and beam houses is great...easy access and plenty of  room to work as long as it is at least 2' up off the ground.

Only thing I can think of to watch out for with pier and beam houses is drainage.  If there's a low spot under the house, and rainwater collects and stands for extended periods, it can lead to the floor/subfloor rotting out.

Wow . . .Thank You All for the very helpful info !

Is there a pro and con to Block & Beam as opposed to Pier & Beam ?

The house I am considering is NOT 12 inches for crawl space amaybe 6 and is block and beam . . . is there a solution for the low spot under the house, where rainwater collects and stands for extended periods, that can lead to the floor/subfloor rotting out.

Or is lifting the house the only option ?

Thank You all

and all input is greatly appreciated !!!!

Pier & Beam is much sturdier, since it is 8-15 feet deep.  Block & Beam is usually no more than a couple of feet deep.

Con.  As you might guess, pier & beam is much more expensive.

Thank You , have you exp any or heard of any major challenges with Block & Beam or about the low spot of water under the house ? Any ideas or solutions ?

Also with these older homes is the electrical or plumbing most costly

and should you wait to replace or wait till needed and if needed ?

Thank You

"make it a great day "

I had a low spot under my house and fixed it with about 15 yards of bank sand, a long rake, a wheelbarrow and several knots on my head from hitting it on the floor joists. Unfortunately, all the solutions to that problem are low tech and high pain.

On the plumbing/electrical question, don't fool with it unless it doesn't work, presents a hazard or if you have the walls/ceiling open for another reason. They are both expensive to remove and replace. You will likely have to upgrade your electrical service to 150a and your water meter to 1" if you start making additions/modifications to either utility.

Pier & Beam is much sturdier, since it is 8-15 feet deep.  Block & Beam is usually no more than a couple of feet deep.

Con.  As you might guess, pier & beam is much more expensive.

Does pier and beam really go 8-15 ft deep? That sounds awful far down....

Pier and beam is also harder to level since you have to support and move a large section of beam. With block and beam you can jack the beam right next to the block, and then shim it up.

Also, to me pier and beam looks nicer with the continuous (usually brick) skirt around the bottom of the house. There's also less concern for rotting siding, since there's brick close to the ground.

Thank You , have you exp any or heard of any major challenges with Block & Beam or about the low spot of water under the house ? Any ideas or solutions ?

Also with these older homes is the electrical or plumbing most costly

and should you wait to replace or wait till needed and if needed ?

Thank You

"make it a great day "

I'm a devotee of pier and beam, block and beam, whatever. Slabs in Houston often crack and fixing one could cost more than raising a pier and beam house and replacing the plumbing and sewer. Another thing I've heard is that slabs can do damage to human joints over time, whereas pier and beam floors, especially wood, have some spring to them. Makes sense to me.

As jgs1419 said, repairs such as leveling, plumbing, low spots etc. are low tech/high pain, which I prefer to just major shelling out of money. Also, termites can be checked periodically as the piers are visible.

Ideal height is enough crawl space to work under, as Redscare mentioned. For some reason a lot of the old houses are almost on the ground, like mine at 8 inches. Horrible idea. The first thing to do is correct any drainage issues so the crawl space is bone dry. Gutters, light grading and bank sand will usually do it. Then, raise it up if you can afford to. I had an estimate for $6K to raise it, not including the plumbing/sewer disconnect/reconnect. An illegal alien "contractor" estimate was a lot less, but I declined.

THANK YOU . . .THANK YOU . . .THANK YOU Heights residents

for all the inputs which is making our decision a little easier for buying,

maintaining , and preserving a house near or around Heights.

I am still not sure what neighborhood 13 1/2 belongs to? Does anyone know?

Any other basic tips that maybe the realtor,inspector , or buyer might want to ask

confirm , or review before buying an older home in Heights ?

We are aware of the home being older, maybe some upgrades, and patience.

Thank You

Shady, there's a cottage industry out there that levels p&b houses. Expect to pay a few thousand for the average Heights home, but make sure you get them to replace the beams even if it costs a little more. It's hard to get a house perfectly level without it. New beams and your set for a decade or more. Although leveling a house is not rocket science, if you're unsure of the people doing the work go to a pro and spend a little more. I don't think Olshan does p&b, but I'll bet they have a large referral list of competent and expensive contractors.

Thank you for your reply.

The block I am referring to is between oxford and studewood

(700 block of 13th 1/2).

Per HCAD and Houston Heights org, it appears this area is known as the KUTSCHBACH neighborhood. Does that sound familiar or ring a bell?

Also, can someone share some experiences about plumbing, foundation per the initial post.

Thank you very much.

Hope you have a great week.

Old timers just call that area the Hungry Heights.

My aunt lived on that block for many years. Her house is the first one that remains on the south side of the street next to the area that was demolished for the expansion of Reagen High School. Her house was out of alignment before the 1950's and was still leaning the last time I drove by a year ago. That block is very congested from the school traffic. My aunt was a school teacher and worked herself to death but was able to raise three well educated children in such a humble environment. My father grew up near-by and all the children from the area and era vowed to make something of themselves so they would never again have to live in such conditions. Funny how something seen as being so awful is now seen as being desirable.

Edited by SpaceAge

I'm a Realtor who specializes (and lives) in the Heights. I always recommend John Pfister to all my clients for foundation work. He can be reached at (281)480-6684 or by email at jpfister@houston.rr.com.

Let me know if you need anymore information. I'd be happy to help!

Joanne Vest

Realtor

Hartman & Associates

713-825-3010 cell

713-861-2004 office

joanne@hartman-associates.com

• The title was changed to E. 13th 1/2 St.
  • The title was changed to Height Of A Pier And Beam Structure For Home