President Johnson In Houston 1960

jb4647

Do you have any of JFK at the Rice the day before he was shot? My cub scout troop was there but I was such a short kid that Max Peck [manger at the Rice Hotel] held me on top of a motorcycle cop's bike so I could see. I saw JFK and Jackie for just a second but ol' Lyndon was out under that canopy shaking hands like crazy. I thought he was the biggest man I'd ever seen-huge ears. ;)

B)

Do you have any of JFK at the Rice the day before he was shot? My cub scout troop was there but I was such a short kid that Max Peck [manger at the Rice Hotel] held me on top of a motorcycle cop's bike so I could see. I saw JFK and Jackie for just a second but ol' Lyndon was out under that canopy shaking hands like crazy. I thought he was the biggest man I'd ever seen-huge ears. ;)

B)

I don't have any of the JFK appearence, but I do have Nixon's 1960 visit:

600612b6hh.th.jpg

6006143yp.th.jpg

6006153dd.th.jpg

6006174nz.th.jpg

6006187cj.th.jpg

Wow. Those days of campaigning in the streets are gone. As for LBJ - what a great president.. :rolleyes:

Hey JB4647 - GREAT pictures! Are you planning on hosting an online album somewhere in which we could view all these pictures at one time? Thanks for posting what you have so far!

Wow. Those days of campaigning in the streets are gone. As for LBJ - what a great president.. :rolleyes:

Hey JB4647 - GREAT pictures! Are you planning on hosting an online album somewhere in which we could view all these pictures at one time? Thanks for posting what you have so far!

I should put together an album. I'll look into it.

• 9 months later...
I don't have any of the JFK appearence, but I do have Nixon's 1960 visit:

600612b6hh.th.jpg

6006143yp.th.jpg

6006153dd.th.jpg

6006174nz.th.jpg

6006187cj.th.jpg

I saw JFK in Houston the day before he was killed. My parents and I were standing in front of Park Place Methodist Church as the motorcade passed by and we saw him very clearly.

• 1 year later...

Here is a website that recaps JFK's famous Space/ Go to the Moon Speech in Houston in 1962. I was at Rice Stadium for the speech and I can remember it very well. First of all, it was an excused absence from school, but only for the morning. When the speech was over, the motorcade went down University Blvd and JFK and LBJ shook hands from their car. Somebody shook my hand. My story has always been that it was JFK.

The 5 or 6 minute slide show is worth the watch. To me, it really exemplifies the optimism and attitude of America at the time.

http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/ricetalk.htm

My dad, who took the LBJ and Nixon photos, always had told us of the time he met LBJ. You know how it is with stories your parents tell you: "yeah right dad, you met LBJ...." What a pleasant surprise it was when I was scanning these slides in 2002 when I came across these. It was like "OMG, dad was not blowing smoke up my tookus!"

We've also got home movies of these events as well. One of these days I'm gonna put 'em up on youtube.

Josh

My dad, who took the LBJ and Nixon photos, always had told us of the time he met LBJ. You know how it is with stories your parents tell you: "yeah right dad, you met LBJ...." What a pleasant surprise it was when I was scanning these slides in 2002 when I came across these. It was like "OMG, dad was not blowing smoke up my tookus!"

We've also got home movies of these events as well. One of these days I'm gonna put 'em up on youtube.

Josh

Think about making several copies and SELL to the media or in that journalism area. May as well make some mula or be on Dateline or something. Think "Zapruder film" or in that mindset. Ja ja.

Your story reminds me of when I found tiny negatives in the family cedar chest had them reprinted and finally got to see what my grandpa looked like! He had passed away before I was born and that photo was crystal clear & sharp! I could go on about other discoveries but its cool that your dad took these, I am spellbound.

• The title was changed to President Johnson In Houston 1960

Archived