The French Quarter

I saw my first ground pictures of the French Quarter today. The Saint Louis Cathedral looks good. The statue still stands in Jackson Square. There's lots of trees down, but it's OK.

Cafe Du Monde is closed, but looks unscathed. Good memories.

Police are patrolling the area on horseback. I assume the ones with the cowboy hats came from Texas.

Now that I see the Quarter is doing pretty well I'm conflicted about whether the city should be rebuilt or not. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Just a few days after the storm, a couple of the bars opened in the Quarter, and a few people were shown partying outside. I thought that was a bit crass given the fact that the Superdome and Convention Center had yet to be evacuated. The media was stupid for showing that.

I realize that drinking is a large part of the attraction of New Orleans (that

I hope they bring some of that bread pudding over here. The first time I ever tried bread pudding was in NO, and I have not tasted anything nearly as good as theirs in Houston.

As far as partying in the streets....there was an article in the paper showing people having a few beers in a bar, but I don't think they we partying. I think they just want to have the normal life again. However, I do think they had a gay pride parade this weekend.

• 3 months later...
The name alone screams sleaze. If gay people are so proud of themselves and their sexuality, why would they name it "Southern Decadence?" Nothing against anyone, I have just never understood why they would name it that.

If you find the harmless campy name that objectionable & don't understand it, there is nothing else about it you would understand. Just trust me on that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent a weekend in NO and went to the quarter. It is a bit different than it used to be, but still a great place to have a good time. Most differences are 1) less crowds 2) less panhandlers, artists, street performers, 3) tons of military police at night, and finally 4) everyone, I mean everyone, is EXTREMELY FRIENDLY.

Of course, not everything is open, but plenty of places are. Some signs of damage exist, but it isn't like other parts of town. If you are thinking about going for a visit, I say do it! You'll have a great time and the city needs those tourist dollars to pick up.

Archived