Katrina: How Can We Help?

editor

Some of you may have noticed the Welcome Katrina Refugees section now on this forum.

Can anyone think of other ways a simple web site like this can help?

I don't think many refugees will be checking this site out. I plan on going to Houston this weekend and helping out. These people are going to be exhausted, tired, thirsty, hungry and just frustrated. The Astrodome is huge. I think they should set certain rooms of the facility for events. Maybe a movie room, a tv room, a nursery, a computer lab. Anything to make these people feel connected to the world that has so seemingly been taken away from them.

I think the people who left early might find it, or their relatives might. People who left when they were supposed to probably had time to pack up their laptops or maybe they might be searching for information at a hotel's computers. Or maybe their relatives are looking for information.

You're right that right now they need food, water, clothing, and rest. But if they're going to be in Houston for weeks or months then they're going to need help getting to know their host city.