New Orleans Broadcasting Situation

editor

For the curious, one of the people I know in the area tells me that there is only one TV station left in New Orleans - WWL (KHOU's sister station), and that there is only one radio station left on the air, and it's broadcasting on alll available frequencies. He wasn't specific about which radio station survived.

I wonder what will happen to all of the corprate headquarters in New Orleans. I was fliping the channels this morning and saw on CNBC that many of the businesses at the port are moving their operations to Houston.

I saw the WDSU.com (NBC affiliate for New Orleans), and the broadcast I saw was really plain, no graphics, the anchors were not dress up in suits, and the only thing that I saw that look new-like was the ticker at the bottom. The studio looked very plain, or the temp studio they made.

It's probably a temporary studio. The New Orleans stations all evacuated before the storm. I believe everyone went to Baton Rouge except for WWL which went to the LSU campus. I know WGNO was operating out of WBRZ/Baton Rouge until it went off the air.

This is another example of how Houston is helping the people of New Orleans. When the storm was coming ashore, WGNO and WNOL were operating out of the KHWB (WB39 Houston) satellite truck parked in the WBRZ parking lot. For such a small station, 39 made a big sacrifice giving up their sat truck so people in New Orleans could stay informed about the storm.

Also, KDAF in Dallas sent a satellite truck to Baton Rouge for it and KHWB to share for covering the event for people back in Texas.

And help came all the way from Los Angeles. The first helicopter video that you saw on CNN and the other networks was taken by KTLA's chopper. It was the only aerial video for about 24 hours. Any helicopter video you see that doesn't have a station or a person's name burned in the upper right hand corner is KTLA video. KTLA inspected some of the infrastructure in the area and rescued five people trapped at WGNO's new building.

I wonder what will happen to all of the corprate headquarters in New Orleans. I was fliping the channels this morning and saw on CNBC that many of the businesses at the port are moving their operations to Houston.

You've got more people wanting to loot N.O. on this board than you have in N.O.

Don't get too excited. If businesses moved their operations to the port of Houston it would be temporary. There's a good reason why the port of South Louisiana is the busiest.

It's probably a temporary studio.  The New Orleans stations all evacuated before the storm.  I believe everyone went to Baton Rouge except for WWL which went to the LSU campus.  I know WGNO was operating out of WBRZ/Baton Rouge until it went off the air.

This is another example of how Houston is helping the people of New Orleans. When the storm was coming ashore, WGNO and WNOL were operating out of the KHWB (WB39 Houston) satellite truck parked in the WBRZ parking lot.  For such a small station, 39 made a big sacrifice giving up their sat truck so people in New Orleans could stay informed about the storm. 

Also, KDAF in Dallas sent a satellite truck to Baton Rouge for it and KHWB to share for covering the event for people back in Texas.

And help came all the way from Los Angeles.  The first helicopter video that you saw on CNN and the other networks was taken by KTLA's chopper.  It was the only aerial video for about 24 hours.  Any helicopter video you see that doesn't have a station or a person's name burned in the upper right hand corner is KTLA video.  KTLA inspected some of the infrastructure in the area and rescued five people trapped at WGNO's new building.

On another post, you said none of the media worked together. This post suggests that they indeed do know each other's phone numbers and are helping comrades in need. Interesting that you use the opposite argument to make your point in the other post.

On another post, you said none of the media worked together.  This post suggests that they indeed do know each other's phone numbers and are helping comrades in need.  Interesting that you use the opposite argument to make your point in the other post.

You should feel free to stamp "I'm a Dumbass" on your forehead when I tell you that KHWB, WGNO, WNOL, and KTLA are all owned by the same company. I don't think it's any surprise that TV stations owned by the same company would try to help each other in a hurricane.

Further, what I actually wrote was:

With the exception of extraordinary circumstances all newsrooms operate completely independently of each other.

I think the hurricane counts as an extraordinary circumstance, don't you?

I'm closing this topic and several others.

I'm trying to provide a service to people in desperate times. There are some HAIF members who are also trying to provide useful information. I thank those people. But the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Why would anyone from Louisiana want to stay in Houston after they read all the hatred, bigotry (from both sides), and venom you people have posted here? No, I'm not pretending I'm innocent. I should set a better example.

The purpose of having this Hurricane Katrina section was to provide important information to people in need. Instead it's been hijacked by a bunch of people who want to lay blame, and play the race card.

Well, you're not going to do it on my dime. Anyone who wants to talk about those sorts of things is welcome to do it either in the Way Off Topic section of this forum, or on another web site.

Those who want to post constructive, helpful information in the Katrina section are welcome. Those who want to provide thoughtful, carefully considered insight into the circumstances these people are in are also welcome. Discussion of current events surrounding the hurricane and the future of New Orleans is also welcome. Everyone else can just slag off.

Topic closed.

Archived