GlobalTuners

Anonymouse

Have you guys heard of this website?

http://www.globaltuners.com/

"GlobalTuners provides access to remotely controlled radio receivers all over the world. You can tune the receivers to listen to remote radio broadcasts, air traffic, amateur transmissions and much more. Anywhere, at any time. You can also share your own receiver, it's a lot of fun for everyone and you get free access to the Premium membership options."

Those of you who have the necessary equipment and know-how should share your own receivers, so we can all hear what's going on on the dial in your area. There are a couple located in San Antonio, but no others in Texas. I've used it off and on for about two years, and it's fun!

You know, I've heard about them for years, but never considered listing any of my receivers. Don't they list the coordinates for the unit's location, or at least document them internally? That would be a deal killer for me, because that would tell everyone where I live. You just never know who might use that info for the wrong reasons, and it's a lot of hassle with the police if you give someone lead poisoning for showing up to the house uninvited. Maybe if I had a receiver at a warehouse or something...

I honestly couldn't tell you if they use coordinates. If they do, I guess someone could use fake ones. Maybe they could try either putting one in a warehouse, like you said.

If not, you should be good. I haven't tried to put my own receiver up there so I wouldn't know.

Hey 93Q you should put one on your tower.

12 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

Hey 93Q you should put one on your tower....

So folks can listen to what?  The same iFart and CBS garbage heard on similar stations all over the country?  The translator stations with spanish and other foreign network programming that probably already has other translators in your area.   I think not.

3 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

You know, I've heard about them for years, but never considered listing any of my receivers. Don't they list the coordinates for the unit's location, or at least document them internally? That would be a deal killer for me, because that would tell everyone where I live. You just never know who might use that info for the wrong reasons, and it's a lot of hassle with the police if you give someone lead poisoning for showing up to the house uninvited. Maybe if I had a receiver at a warehouse or something...

How long have they've been in existence ?

9 hours ago, 93Q.TV said:

I think not.

LOL! I was thinking about stations like KYND, KGBC, and KSET... Stations which are currently decent but don't stream.

And then there's the ham radio and other stuff those can pick up, depending on which receiver you use.

If it's on a tower it should pick up loads of stations from out of town during tropo, and probably even not during such times.

I don't listen to the weak foreign and generic stations. I just check on them and sometimes might give updates.

Height is everything, Mouse. If you were to stand on top of Joe's 197 foot tower with a good receiver, or even run a long antenna wire all the way up to the top, you'd pick up stations from San Antonio, Dallas, Beaumont, Lufkin, and Bryan/College Station with little effort. It's not that hard even sitting on ground level. Increasing the height of the receiving antenna would only make things much easier. 

I've often wondered what kind of reception those that live or work in the downtown skyscrapers can receive. Wish I knew someone that had access to a Chase Tower office to do a little testing.

Hell, I'd settle for knowing someone who lived in Houston House that would allow me to set up my equipment and whirl the dial. Especially on AM, with my loop. I figure Mexico City's XEW and other big signals from central America would be there day and night. 

Archived