Galveston Seawall 1962

MaxConcrete

Today's news report that the beach along the west Seawall will be restored made me think about this photo in my archive collection

High resolution image

This image was dated 1962 but that is not necessarily correct. The seawall dead-ended onto the beach. It looks like there was a heavy coating of seaweed at the time of the photo, similar to the huge coverage last year, some of which is shown in these photos further east near Sabine that I posted online.

txdot_planning_seawall_end_07-06-1962_26

• Like 8

There is a dedication plague near the end naming the project engineer, Theodore Robinson, the Corp of Engineers and the Galveston county commisioners, dated 1958-1962. It apparently took four years to complete.

It also states that it was federally funded.

The photo above is impressive. The period automobiles tells a story in itself. Not a foreign car amongst them

I think that photo may be from a few years earlier. 

One of my memories as a kid was the road doing a bit of a jog immediately before the end of the seawall, with a marooned crane in a tidal pool - apparently a victim of Carla, which hit in 1962.  The cars I can make out all look to be mid to late 50s models.

Still, a cool shot - thanks for sharing.

I disagree Mollusk, in Max's high resolution photo there is '61 Pontiac with it's trunk open at the far lower right corner.

Being the old car nut that I am, I also spotted a late model Packard nosed in close to the seaward not far from the base of the ramp.

Yes there was a pit (Austen's Pit) near the base of the sea wall. It was a sand pit that was excavated for use in mixing the concrete for this part of the sea wall. It's location became a problem in later years as it washed out several times and almost cut the highway in two during hurricane Alicia.