Woodgrove Condominiums At 2250-2350 Bering Dr.

matty1979

Did anyone live on Bering or Augusta that might have some fun stories to share? I would really like to know about Woodgrove (2250-2350) Bering.

Built around 1978 and in my opinion rather unique!

Woodgrove was originally built as apartments but went condo at some point. There is a practically identical complex on Augusta north of San Felipe. I lived in a unit at 2250 Bering for a year in 2008. The owners lived out of town and it was managed by a local property management company the name of which I forget. The complex was pleasant and well kept. It was also about the best value in the area. I had only one or two small issues with the unit (dead electrical receptacle, plumbers working in adjacent unit did something strange that caused hot water to come out the cold water lines) but the management company was right on top of things.

At one time I considered buying a unit there. The prices and maintenance fee seemed reasonable but that was before the big climb in real estate prices we've seen lately.

I didn't live on Bering nor Augusta but lived south of Westheimer near the corner of Bering. My father had a working buddy (another plumber) that bought land on Bering north of Westheimer in the early 50's and built a house. This guy had about an acre or so of land. I remember he raised bees though the years, and gave jars of honey away as Christmas presents. He sold out in the late 70's and received over 1 million dollars, but the poor old guy died of cancer just two years later.

My dad once told me, that he had a short conversation with William Farrington in the ealry 50's. He was working on the Farrington home in Tanglewood when it was being built. Mr. Farrinton asked my dad where he lived, and told him, "just south of Westheimer from here". Mr Farrington responded, "Kid, you should have bought north of Westheimer!".

How right he was.

The funny thing is that considering it's proximity to Westheiemer..Bering and Augusta are probably two of the quietest streets I have ever lived on. I'm wondering if it was that way in the heyday of the "Richmond Strip" era..?

Maybe for the lack of establishments that are open 24 hours or the lack of major hospitals in the area. Years ago when I lived on Bering closer to Woodway I rarely heard the fire station close by being called into action.

My only complaint about the area is the traffic lights and how stinking long they take to finally turn green...small price to pay I suppose!!!

• The title was changed to Bering Drive/Augusta Drive
  • The title was changed to Woodgrove Condominiums At 2250-2350 Bering Dr.

Archived