Food Lion Grocery Stores

SpaceGhost

Doing another article and I'm trying to find info on Food Lion. My understanding is that around 13 locations were opened although plans called for something like 40 of them. I know one location was turned into the Missouri City PD but I'm unsure about any other locations. Searching for info is difficult due to their intro into Houston being overshadowed by the Prime time Live controversy.

So does anyone know where any of these locations were, or have any info on what happened to the buildings?

There was one at Jones Road and West Road now a Food Town.

I'm pretty sure they never made it to 40 stores...I know they kept on until 1997 before pulling out...but their plans to invade Houston were spoiled by the fact that H-E-B Pantry came first. Part of the problem was that their distribution center was in Dallas (I don't think they ever had a Houston distribution center), so they were marginally more successful there, and the distribution center was sold to Tom Thumb in 1999.

another reason was the hit piece someone did on ABC's 20/20, which aired right after FL moved to Houston. That was the episode where an 'undercover reporter' got a job in the meat department, tampered with some beef, then said, "Look what FL is selling you"

• 4 months later...

The fact that one was converted to a public elementary school is kind of cool.

Yeah! The building is so transformed that I wouldn't be able to recognize it. Also there are a couple of other locations that were converted to an HCC Campus, and a Police Station. Leads me to believe that Food Lion dumped the property for cheap. Cheap enough, that they were willing to subdivide some property like I mentioned in another post.

I didn't realize the one in Sugar Land was the first in the area. (Presently a Food Town.)  At the time it was right down the road from me and I liked it. They were clean and had great prices. It was doing well until the 20/20 piece. They were actually only doing what other stores were doing but got caught. 

• The title was changed to Food Lion Grocery Stores