Morton's/Lance/Tom's/Dentler's Snacks

Ashikaga

1frito2.jpg

Ole' Baby !!!

illust.jpg

Tom's answer to the Frito Bandito.

cheetos.jpg

Lay's answer to the new law passed, where CARTOON characters can't be used in advertising anymore. This is Chester Cheetah's replacement.

Wow! You're just as fast as Subdude is in coming up with things real quick.

Yes. Thanks.

I like the pringles response. The only difference is that pringles suck and Charles Chips are awesome.

Charlie's Chips were the best. We found them last summer at small,hometown grocery store in NC so they must still be around as a novlety.

I cannot believe y'all are such babies! My goodness, Pumpkin Seeds or Pepitas were all the rage for get togethers, cocktail parties, etc. Along with sunflower seeds, the chi-chi snack of the late 1950's and 1960's and still around today. I've even toasted my own straight from real pumpkins. They are not in the least vile, nice mild flavor and crunchy.

In my childhood there were a lot of manufacturing plants about, remember Nabisco? I met George Dentler and his wife at a private home concert and felt it important thereafter to eat their potato chips. There was a huge candy manufacturing plant in north Houston that I toured in mid '50s, my family knew the fam that owned it. Most of the candy snacks in the local stores sold their products.

Sadly, my closest convenience store suddenly no longer carries Tom's. I love their "Boston Baked Beans" and "French Peanuts." All these exclusive contracts that are the rage have forced them to stock only Frito/Lay products. Years and years ago, we used to buy Cheez-Its in any old grocery store, then the stores went exclusively with Nabisco items. It doesn't matter what we really want, all is corporate manipulation.

I've even toasted my own straight from real pumpkins. They are not in the least vile, nice mild flavor and crunchy.

We would do that every year when I was a kid. There was always one night when we'd carve the jack-o-lanterns and toast the guts. I never liked them, though, but it's about the only thing my family ever did together.

I cannot believe y'all are such babies! My goodness, Pumpkin Seeds or Pepitas were all the rage for get togethers, cocktail parties, etc. Along with sunflower seeds, the chi-chi snack of the late 1950's and 1960's and still around today. I've even toasted my own straight from real pumpkins. They are not in the least vile, nice mild flavor and crunchy.

In my childhood there were a lot of manufacturing plants about, remember Nabisco? I met George Dentler and his wife at a private home concert and felt it important thereafter to eat their potato chips. There was a huge candy manufacturing plant in north Houston that I toured in mid '50s, my family knew the fam that owned it. Most of the candy snacks in the local stores sold their products.

Sadly, my closest convenience store suddenly no longer carries Tom's. I love their "Boston Baked Beans" and "French Peanuts." All these exclusive contracts that are the rage have forced them to stock only Frito/Lay products. Years and years ago, we used to buy Cheez-Its in any old grocery store, then the stores went exclusively with Nabisco items. It doesn't matter what we really want, all is corporate manipulation.

If you are looking for some nosatlgia, I just happen to have a vending machine here that is chock full of Cheez-It snacks in the 3oz. bag variety.

Chewing on

Pork Rinds...mmmmmmmmmm

Pork Rinds with cold beer............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

salted peanuts....with beer .....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

while riding through the country of course with windows down, wind blowing, yeah! :P

Chewing on

Pork Rinds...mmmmmmmmmm

Pork Rinds with cold beer............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

salted peanuts....with beer .....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

while riding through the country of course with windows down, wind blowing, yeah! :P

Breakfast of Champions ! ! !

Breakfast of Champions ! ! !

Vending machines. The farthest back I can remember, you could get a 10-ounce bottle of Coca-Cola for a dime out of a vending machine. My parents told me that they can remember when you could get one for a nickel. They said that many people complained when the price was raised to six cents because they had to add a penny.

Lance/Tom's/Morton's snacks, I remember their vending machines mostly in company breakrooms. The farthest back I remember is a dime for their chips, cookies, etc. In stores, I remember seeing a Lance/Tom's glass jar on the counter where you'd life off the lid and get out a bag of peanuts.

• 4 weeks later...
I love Toms Bacon Cheddar Fries and deeply lament the passing of their Tangy Grill flavor of fries. They're desperately needed back, along with Corn flavored Pringles.

Toms Cheddar Fries are very addicting, busting the roof of your mouth addicting. I could scarf a whole bag down less than 5 minutes.

Toms Cheddar Fries are very addicting, busting the roof of your mouth addicting. I could scarf a whole bag down less than 5 minutes.

But I have noticed that snacks made by Morton's/Lance/Tom's do taste somewhat inferior to namebrands such as Lay's/Nabisco, etc. They've always been a good vending machine and convenience store snack. But I've learned that in most cases, you get what you pay for.

But I have noticed that snacks made by Morton's/Lance/Tom's do taste somewhat inferior to namebrands such as Lay's/Nabisco, etc. They've always been a good vending machine and convenience store snack. But I've learned that in most cases, you get what you pay for.

NB, taste is relative to the consumer. I find Kettle Brand chips FAR superior to Ruffles or Lay's in ever way shape and form, and if you haven't tried Kettle Brand's Salt and Cracked Pepper, you are missing out. Cape Cod brand is also VERY superior over Ruffle's and Lay's. I find Bugles much more appetising than Fritos only sometimes. Tositos chips are great but, they can't hold a candle next to authentic Tex/Mex restaurant chips.

NB, taste is relative to the consumer. I find Kettle Brand chips FAR superior to Ruffles or Lay's in ever way shape and form, and if you haven't tried Kettle Brand's Salt and Cracked Pepper, you are missing out. Cape Cod brand is also VERY superior over Ruffle's and Lay's. I find Bugles much more appetising than Fritos only sometimes. Tositos chips are great but, they can't hold a candle next to authentic Tex/Mex restaurant chips.

Oh, I'll try anything at least once. I think I've seen Kettle brand somewhere. I've never heard of Cape Cod. Yes, the canned potato chips, Pringles and Lay's are different, the former being better to me. Those Lay's are harder and thicker. To me, there's too many different flavors of all kinds of potato and corn chips. I prefer regular Lay's and Frito's, not the barbecue, sour cream and onion, etc., that they also have.

I'm not saying that Lance/Tom's/Morton's are bad. I'm just saying that you notice a "cheaper" taste in those compare to a name brand.

• 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to Morton's/Lance/Tom's/Dentler's Snacks

Archived