Suburban Mass Transit

RedScare

Article in today's Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3308895

The popular opinion is that suburban counties are filled with upper middle class SUV driving residents who wouldn't take mass transit even if it was available. But there is a growing number of elderly, disabled and low-income residents in these counties who need transportation other than personal vehicles. The Woodlands has a private ly contracted commuter bus service that carries 1400 riders a day into downtown and the Med Center. I believe the cost is $165 per month, according to my brother, or $7.50 per day. Given that he estimates it would cost $15 a day to drive and park, he thinks it is a bargain.

Everyone I talk to in Clear Lake asks why isnt metro building commuter rail along Highway 3. Theyd say they would use it every day. Then I remind them of the costs and taxes and the discussion comes to an end

Actually, the "new" transit plan envisions commuter rail to Clear Lake. It is not funded for completion by 2012 like the 290 and Ft Bend lines are, but planning will commence.

As for a transit option from Woodlands to Beltway/I-10, I don't see it happening other than a Woodlands to DT link, followed by a DT to Westside link. That knid of commute would be absolutely brutal, IMO.

The best way for Commuter rail to be successful is if there is a substantial inner city rail system. The reason for this as someone has already mentioned, not everyone works Downtown, and it is not possible to have a commuter rail line that stops at every employment center. We do have the bus system, but many people who will ride rail won't ride a bus.

Actually, the "new" transit plan envisions commuter rail to Clear Lake.  It is not funded for completion by 2012 like the 290 and Ft Bend lines are, but planning will commence.

Where can we see details of this long-term aspect of the plan? The only details I've seen so far are the rail lines headed out to Sugarland and up to Bryan/College Station.

For the line to reach Galveston, Galveston County would need to come up with a funding plan for their share, but a rail link to Galveston would probably do more for their tourism industry by bringing in daytrippers from Houston than anything else I can think of. They have the trolley line already. It is being expanded and the islands long slender shape makes transit easy. You could spend a day down there without a vehicle.

A commuter rail to Galveston would make it possible to live in Galveston and work in Houston. There are many people making that drive now. I think the commuter rail will only go the county line. A large park and ride would do good there for people who live further out.

Is there much traffic on the rail line to Galveston right now?

Suburban Mass Transit is a misnomer. The Sub-urbs do not have the Urban density necessary to transport "Mass"es of people. They have to increase density artificially, e.g., the park and ride system. This doesn't do much for old, young, and handicapped, which is what I've been saying for awhile. Increased fuel costs will bring to light the tru(th) ramifications of sprawling development. The bus systems will only work for those who are employed in dense business districts. Unless China stops loaning us money and the economy slows, increasing demand for oil in China and India will result in ever-increased fuel costs. The next 10 or so years are going to be very interesting.

Suburban Mass Transit is a misnomer.  The Sub-urbs do not have the Urban density necessary to transport "Mass"es of people.  They have to increase density artificially, e.g., the park and ride system.  This doesn't do much for old, young, and handicapped, which is what I've been saying for awhile.  Increased fuel costs will bring to light the tru(th) ramifications of sprawling development.  The bus systems will only work for those who are employed in dense business districts.    Unless China stops loaning us money and the economy slows, increasing demand for oil in China and India will result in ever-increased fuel costs.  The next 10 or so years are going to be very interesting.

If you really look at the density of the burbs, some of the burbs are not that much "less dense" than much of the so-called inner city. Many parts of Clear Lake, for example, are as congested as Westheimer. In fact, the homes are built closer together than some older inner-city subdivisions. Yet Westheimer residents enjoy several local metro bus lines. I would think a similar local service scheme in some of the burbs would be in order now-a-days. Commuter service can than be used to transport the longer-haul commutes, as is done now. The real problem is getting people in the burbs' to embrace local bus service. And I think with the price of gas these days, it might just happen in our life-times.

^^

Very much true. Many suburban subdivision are much denser thant single family home sudivision in the loop and close to the loop.

Several developments I'm working on have Heights sized lots and some smaller.

If you really look at the density of the burbs, some of the burbs are not that much "less dense" than much of the so-called inner city. Many parts of Clear Lake, for example, are as congested as Westheimer. In fact, the homes are built closer together than some older inner-city subdivisions. Yet Westheimer residents enjoy several local metro bus lines. I would think a similar local service scheme in some of the burbs would be in order now-a-days. Commuter service can than be used to transport the longer-haul commutes, as is done now. The real problem is getting people in the burbs' to embrace local bus service. And I think with the price of gas these days, it might just happen in our life-times.

They should have built Clear Lake inside the Loop.

(....am I the only one that misses LTAWACS?)

The one thing we have to look at though is these inner loop neighborhoods are completely surrounded by development. Also for example my suburb built in the fifties has connections from every street pretty much to the city. But in many of todays suburbs they are isolated in their own little development that many times will have a long "parkway" to even get to them. I know not all are like this, but it is common. And regarding the homes built closer together, that is usually because the McMansions are many times 3000+ square feet. This is different than older "burbs" as they tend to be 1200-1500 square feet, that is mostly 50-60 and earlier. It is kind of funny though that a friend I have in Sienna plantation has suuuch a smaller yard than me.

Who says mass transit has to be a government project?

Sometimes the management companies of skyscrapers will provide their own commuter bus service as a courtesy to the people who work in their buildings. Sometimes a group of buildings will go in it together.

Imagine if Greenway Plaza had two or three regular commuter buses a day to Sugar Land. Or if the Houston Center ran a few buses up to The Woodlands. As the original poster noted, it doesn't cost all that much, and it's another perk to draw businesses to your building.

We would be more like Japan where the trains are run by private companies with some help from the government, but not like the decrepit Amtrak situation in the US.

Private corporations would have to compete for riders and provide better service. Japan has seen success in this. The only thing is a train isn't profitable in Houston, but a private vanpool or bus service can be. Very much like the Woodlands Express to Downtown and Greenway. I don't know if it goes to Uptown though.

Archived