The "M" Monument At Elgin & Bagby

trymahjong

Forgot to add that PWE is considering changes to this small triangle median at Genesse street and Fairview/Tuam.

Again the possibility of green plantings if the Civic club agrees to maintain the plantings.

sorry don't know how to turn the picture

• 3 months later...

guess I can give a few updates

The Avondale Board was approached by COH on possibility of adopting the "M" median at Elgin/Westheimer and Bagby plus  median at Genesse & Fairview/Tuam. Proposed roadwork would change up those two medians and city would put in fill dirt and Civic association would design green space (with COH approval) and then maintain the green space. Avondale did the paperwork and submitted in May. 

In July Board became aware that Montrose Management District had plans of it's own-- The "M" part of the statue will be taken down and donated to GLBT museum and the median will have new statue that has it's own lights. There are several other  locations for this new branding also  The details are still in progress.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/3/2018 at 0:46 PM, trymahjong said:

I saw after the street repairs ( Westheimer/Elgin- Bagby) the small triangular island where the “M” statue was taken down has been cemented over. What happened to plans for new art piece for that location?

Just speculation, but maybe the powers that be are concerned that a new art piece might be damaged when equipment is brought in to start the rebuilding of Lower Westheimer.
I hope that eventually something of interest goes into that space.

• 2 years later...

Oh my......there is talk that COH might take the right hand turn lane at Bagby (going south) and Westheimer; reclaim it, and turn it into green space. This raises my hope that the “M” statute or maybe something might be erected where the M statue was. 
Green space is so very hard to come by, even if it tiny, I am really excited.

1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

Oh my......there is talk that COH might take the right hand turn lane at Bagby (going south) and Westheimer; reclaim it, and turn it into green space. This raises my hope that the “M” statute or maybe something might be erected where the M statue was. 
Green space is so very hard to come by, even if it tiny, I am really excited.

I've come pretty close to closing the slip lane myself by blocking it and putting a bench in 😄

I don't know why Bagby gets so wide at Westheimer right there. It is incredibly awkward. It took me loudly complaining for nearly two months to have lane striping put in after the reconstruction. The official answer I got was that the contractors were supposed to do it and didn't. It was a freaking mess. 

This little awkward  nib was spoken about in the reconstruction plans for lower Westheimer.

3,499 SQ FT RESTAURANT EXPANSION/REMODEL 1-2-2-A2-B '12 IBC SPK/F

yes, Public art was also discussed and Avondale Civic ( stewards of that plot) were on board also. The talk todo something for the weird turn lane are coming from COH city council.

14 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

This little awkward  nib was spoken about in the reconstruction plans for lower Westheimer.

3,499 SQ FT RESTAURANT EXPANSION/REMODEL 1-2-2-A2-B '12 IBC SPK/F

yes, Public art was also discussed and Avondale Civic ( stewards of that plot) were on board also. The talk todo something for the weird turn lane are coming from COH city council.

Where were they talking about it? I'd love to send Kamin an email in support if she was the one talking about it. 

• 2 months later...

This intersection was brought up at Neartown zoom.

The right hand turn lane onto Westheimer  off Bagby headed south will be closed off. 
This project was part of District C community input study on quick things to be done to promote pedestrian safety. Potential plans call for removing curbing and barriers placed  to close off turn lane.

At the zoom, the idea of removing all the concrete beneath the turn lane and returning it to Green Space that would increase the area of median where the M statue once stood were brought up and discussed.

Monies are limited and so far the proposal of recovering green space is not funded.

• The title was changed to The "M" Monument At Elgin & Bagby

Archived