Houston Fountains

TheNiche

Yup, that's the one. Only there's no BMW-driving, urban-loft-dwelling Yuppie giving his or her dog a bath in it. LOL! What a way to a spoil a beautiful fountain. Can't tell you how many times I've looked out the window for an inspirational view and seen some idiot letting his golden retreiver have his way in the water. Disgusting. What are people thinking?

That used to be a nice park to go to on a lunch break. Then all the nearby apartment dwellers turned it into an informal dog park (apparently there are actually official dog parks). The smell there is atrocious. Last time I walked through I came back to the office smelling like dog poo and I never even left the walking trail.

BTW... I love dogs. Have a shih tzu who runs our house. We just live there.

Hard to tell from reading your post. I can think of few things more enjoyable than a dog expressing its joie de vivre, especially in or near water.

Personally, I believe fountains should be enjoyed in every way, including interactively.

Then you won't mind me bringing my dog to frolic in your kitchen sink?

Then you won't mind me bringing my dog to frolic in your kitchen sink?

Not at all! My house and yard is already the neighborhood playground. My neighbor lets his 2 standard poodles in my yard to play with my lab mix several times daily. I keep my friend's retriever often when she flies. I've had as many as 6 dogs tearing up my yard at one time. It's hell on the grass, but completely worth it to watch them chase each other around the yard.

The neighbors' dogs routinely crap in my front yard on their walks. It annoyed me at first, until I realized that they were stopping at my fence to socialize with my dog. It is just the price I pay for having the friendliest dog in the 'hood.

I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Personally, I believe fountains should be enjoyed in every way, including interactively.

Like the opening scene from Friends

275px-FRIENDS.PNG

I do enjoy the urban sprawl master planned neighborhood water parks they make, with the colors and dumping buckets and sprayers

That is pretty interactive.

I do enjoy the urban sprawl master planned neighborhood water parks they make, with the colors and dumping buckets and sprayers

That is pretty interactive.

Like this one?

cs_full_1.jpg

...yep, me and my two kids love it.

But to get back on topic, here's a pic of the Bob & Vivian Smith fountain in downtown.

SmithFountain-001.jpg

I posted a thread about it just a week ago. http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=7923

• 8 years later...

Several years ago I started looking for info on fountains in Houston.  I liked having a destination on bike rides and fountains are interesting to me.  Well, I didn't find much.  So over the last couple of years I've been taking pictures of fountains on my phone when I've been out.  My wife talked me in to putting them up for everyone to see.  So I created a facebook page for them.  I make no claims to be a photographer.  These are just personal snapshots.  But when I get them all put up I'll try to have all of the fountains inside the loop, plus a few, that I can get to on my bike.  Take a look and let me know which fountains I'm missing, or any interesting info you have on any particular fountain.  I've put up most of the Med Center and Hermann Park.  I'm still getting to Downtown, Galleria/Uptown, and others.

https://www.facebook.com/TheHoustonFountainProject

I just added this to the Photography section, but it also belongs here since several of these have already disappeared, like the Prudential Building fountain and the ones at Hermann Park that were removed for the new Centennial Garden.  Anyways, I've been taking pictures of Houston fountains as I cycle through the inner loop area.  I've put some of them up on a facebook page and will be adding more.  Take a look if you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/TheHoustonFountainProject

Archived