Texas A&M University Campus Master Plan

H-Town Man

Texas A&M has announced a new campus master plan over the summer. The plan will guide campus development over the next fifty years. It essentially condemns most of the building practices of the last forty years, during the school's "crisis period of growth," calling them sprawling and non-contributive towards the traditional campus. The buildings that A&M students love and cherish, the "campus of memory," is said to be found among the older, more urban-style buildings.

Future development will be a return to this urban style. The plan calls for new quads, defining of new spaces (and redefining of the old, like O.R. Simpson drill field), removal of parking to the perimeter of campus, and a major increase of density in the historical parts of campus. There are also recommendations on how to improve the quality of architecture; and a landscape plan, which includes turning major arteries such as Wellborn and University Dr. into tree-lined boulevards and preserving natural areas such as the White Creek Greenway.

The plan is exciting, as anyone who looks at some of the drawings will attest. It has already won awards from the Boston Society of Architects and a similar Austin-based society, which says that this is the first time they have given their award to a plan instead of a building. It contains interesting discussions of the history and values involved in campus planning, including references to the principles of the French Ecole des Beaux Arts. Anyone interested in the architectural future of one of the nation's five largest universities would enjoy skimming through.

www.tamu.edu/campusplan

As I looked up this link, I noticed that just yesterday the University President dedicated 16 historic campus buildings as "worthy of preservation," citing them as evoking the values and traditions of the school. Also, a new building in the planning stages, the landmark $100 million Life Sciences Center, is to "rigorously adhere" to the principles set forth in the campus plan. It looks like the school is excitedly adopting this vision.

• Like 1

The school is heading in the right direction, however, they are planning on demolishing an INSANE amount of buildings. The one I'd hate to see go the most on their list is the Pavilion. One that I wish would disappear is the oogly Harrington Tower and building. My favorite buildings on campus without a doubt, though, are Jack K. Williams and the Chemistry Building. If anyone hasn't been inside of Jack K. Williams, I suggest the effort to see this beautiful structure--even though the elevator is nowhere near as elegant.

I also hate the Meteorology building (tallest on campus) and ironically the Architecture buildings.

e087yfxv.jpg

Here's the article on the Historic designations H-Town Man mentioned.

Sixteen distinguished buildings on the Texas A&M campus were recognized for historical importance to A&M heritage and for being models for the Campus Master Plan in a ceremony held outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building Saturday.

"These 16 buildings all embody the character of Texas A&M University," said Executive Vice President and Provost David Prior.

The Campus Master Plan is set to take place over the next 40 years at A&M and would greatly increase the size and scope of the A&M campus.

"As part of A&M's Campus Master Plan, these 16 buildings' markers illustrate the quality of people that came before us and how they still inspire us today," said A&M President Robert M. Gates.

The Jack K. Williams Administration Building was built in 1932 in honor of Williams, the 17th president of Texas A&M. It faced the then-new Highway 6 to symbolize the shift from train-to-automobile travel.

Other buildings recognized include the Chemistry Building, which was built in 1929 and has Mexican-American influence in its color schemes and ornamentations, Nagle Hall, which was built in 1909 and is one of the oldest buildings at A&M; Bolton Hall, where, on Nov. 24, 1921, William A. "Doc" Tolson, Class of 1923, and Harry M. Saunders, Class of 1922, produced the first live play-by-play football game broadcast on the radio in the nation (A&M vs. Texas); and the YMCA Building, which was financed by students, alumni and the John D. Rockefeller Foundation.

Construction of future buildings on campus is said to be based on these distinguished buildings.

"What's great about the Campus Master Plan is that it recognizes buildings on campus that model for future buildings, and we intend to create a harmony amongst new buildings by drawing inspiration from the old ones," Gates said.

The celebration of the historic significance of the buildings will celebrate A&M's emphasis and continuation of tradition.

"Of all the universities in the world, Texas A&M has the heart of tradition in it," said Director of Historic Resources Imaging Laboratory David Woodcock.

Wow, I had not seen or heard about this. My wife and I drove through campus this past weekend (Sunday after the Clemson game) and really enjoyed it. Given the architectural mistakes of the past, I still love the campus and look forward to future improvements.

The new engineering building is pretty sweet by the way.

Dallasite:

If you are talking about the new chemical engineering building (my degree).  I have not seen it... I am dying to see what its like.

I spent three years in the Zachry building.  This was not the most up to date of buildings.

Yes, I believe that's the one. It fronts University and stands about 8-9 stories. It's pretty slick.

I have mixed feelings about the new Chem-E building. It's rather austere, and doesn't mesh well with the other engineering buildings.

I too saw that they are planning to tear down the Pavilion. Don't know why. Most of the teardowns I approve of, provided they replace those buildings with something decent. The Student Counselling Center is another building I would hate to see go.

The choices they made for the list are interesting. One building that is conspicuously absent is the original Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, with its classical front and stair. The Military Sciences Building ("Honor... The Guiding Star") also seems deserving. Why Bolton, and not Leggett or Milner? Why Hart, and not Walton?

Does anyone know the story of some of the buildings they've torn down in the past? You notice that half of the buildings on the Military Walk are gone. Some of those were pretty amazing, although thankfully the best (YMCA) was saved.

• The title was changed to Texas A&M University Campus Master Plan