Building At 1145 Rothwell St.

NenaE

Approximate address is 1194 Rothwell. Has anyone talked about this one before? ... looks like it's had a few revisions through the years. HCAD tells me the original structure was built in 1924, although we all know that could be inaccurate. One owner in 1984 was Southern Tire Co. It sits across from Henke's 1883  (brief location) grocery store (thank you Arch-ive.org. aka sev-fiv). Very old part of Downtown area. NE side. 

The front facade seems to be a 1940's creation. From the rear, the oldest building says year 1924 or older. 

post-5666-0-34686500-1417280305_thumb.jp

post-5666-0-28664500-1417280344_thumb.jp

Thank You Ross. I measured it, it's definitely that corner property. Measures 82' exactly. This area has some very nice old buildings/ warehouses. Gotta love those old notes on block books. Scratched out street names, they're priceless for research. 

Note - Texas & New Orleans RR property was next door. And that Jackson property name, other corner of triangle, had a street name Jackson, too, under the freeway, just north. The slender, one story bldg. (opposite corner of the grocery store) facing N. San Jacinto (Rothwell) (Liberty) has an interesting facade - late 1920's to late 30's??? guessing. Reminds me of an auto dealership bldg. from that era.

Nena, the address is 1145 Rothwell, it is now part of a Stasco warehouse. It was Southern Tire company as far back as the early fifties. I don't know what it was before then. As you say it has been through a few incarnations since it was built.

This is the same building back when.

post-11998-0-43295000-1417751552_thumb.j

post-11998-0-42439500-1417751602_thumb.j

Oh wow... those are great pics, thank you Michelle C. for taking the time to share. At one time, the bldg. had a grocer, thnx Ross. That front facade is as I had imagined it to be. Wonder if it's still intact, underneath. I'd like to know the true age of the structure. It looks to be very old. There seems to be a painted name/ advertisement on the side wall. It's painted over, seen in your second shot. Nice old pick-up, too. 

Your very welcome Nena. If you go back to Google street view, and zoom in on the front of the building you can see some of the detail at the top that is original. When I was looking close it looked like some of the front was covered with plywood.

• 1 month later...

post-5666-0-07056900-1421287034_thumb.jp

More info. on the Rothwell (Liberty) bldg. - It was there in 1890... a Fifth Ward barber shop and drug store. Looks like there was a restaurant to the right, as well.

Source: Sanborn Map 23, 1890... from U.T. Perry Castaneda Map Collectiion - online.

• The title was changed to Building At 1145 Rothwell St.

Archived