Katherine Whaley joins Ch.13

Blue Dogs

Former KHOU-TV morning traffic anchor Katherine Whaley posted on Facebook she's now working for Ch. 13.

Sunday night, Whaley changed the jobs field on her Facebook account to "Started Working at KTRK-TV." Does this mean she's taking the morning traffic anchor/reporting gig Ch. 13 was advertising recently?

"You may remember I am an active blogger, covering Houston food, my original recipes and travel," Whaley told mikemcguff.com last July. "I am planning to relaunch the site later this month. Stay tuned!"

But will Ch. 13 allow Whaley to continue her Dash of Decadence blog ? Plus, the bigger question is whether longtime beloved traffic anchor Don Nelson plans on retiring from Ch. 13 after over 30 + years?

Lots of questions ahead....

According to her old KHOU bio, Whaley previously worked in Las Vegas at KVBC-TV as an anchor, reporter and weathercaster. She also anchored and reported at KLFY-TV Lafayette, LA and KAVU-TV Victoria. Whaley grew up in Houston, attended Memorial High School and graduated from Rice University.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2014/10/katherine-whaley-joins-ktrk-abc13.html?m=1

Reaction of Whaley working for Ch. 13 ?

It was a no brainer she was going to get back into local media and nothing against Darby I just wonder why she left Ch. 11 in the first place. Her travel/food writing was interesting, it almost seemed like she wanted to head in the direction of a professional travelogue instead of doing it as a hobby.

I'm surprised that traffic is still something the news does. I think any major wrecks should be handled like any other story, and the rest people have phones for. Besides, not sure why someone even checks it during rush hour since it's going to be horrible no matter what.

It was a no brainer she was going to get back into local media and nothing against Darby I just wonder why she left Ch. 11 in the first place. Her travel/food writing was interesting, it almost seemed like she wanted to head in the direction of a professional travelogue instead of doing it as a hobby.

AtomicTelephone, I also believed it was obvious she was going back into TV news media and not shocked she went to Ch. 13: wishing her good luck.

I saw her in the role of news anchor a few times (noon on weekdays most frequently) and I thought she did a superb job; no mugging for the camera, trying to get laughs by being silly, or over dramatizing the least little thing. She is very professional but not dour. I welcome her return to local TV broadcasting.

Archived