U-Tote-Um Grocery/Convenience Store On San Felipe St.

devonhart

I believe there is are remnants of one that was on the 1-10 feeder, outbound, after the beltway, before Eldridge. I could be mistaken. The slender 1950's design always catches my eye. Can someone confirm or deny this?

post-5666-0-29402700-1408111962_thumb.jp

A close look at the sign shows more detail than I remember on later signs.

Sure that's on San Felipe, I know that's what's typed on the pic, but that looks like the U-Tot-em that was on the northwest corner of Beachnut & Post Oak before Post Oak became 610 across the street from Meyerland Plaza. In the 50s my older sister went to Bellaire HS and when we drove her to school each morning we passed by the U-tot-em on Beachnut.

Then as now, strip shopping centers could get pretty generic.  It's also got the same lines as the one that used to be just north of Memorial on Wycliffe a few years after that photo, except that the U-Tot-em was at the opposite end.

The part that really takes me back is most of the front of the store consisting of garage doors rolled open.  I remember that when I was a kid, the summers weren't kind to the chocolate and candy bars.   :(

The part that really takes me back is most of the front of the store consisting of garage doors rolled open.  I remember that when I was a kid, the summers weren't kind to the chocolate and candy bars.   :(

I don't remember this style. The mid sixties must have introduced a new concept, air-conditioned stores. Click on the photo to enlarge it.

post-5666-0-53153600-1408395890_thumb.jp

• The title was changed to U-Tote-Um Grocery/Convenience Store On San Felipe St.

Archived