Northwest Mall Area

Just curious if anyone had any updates about the Northwest Mall. I saw in the Chronicle today that developer Jenard Gross is going to tear down the MetroNexus building at 610 near 290, "to make way for as many as 300 new apartments, 140 single-family homes and 200 townhomes."

The article continues...

"Gross said the industrial area northwest of the Heights shows promise as a residential neighborhood because of planned improvements at nearby Northwest Mall and a new office building under construction for HISD in the area."

Any specifics on the improvements? Would love to see something cool happening there. :)

• Like 1

Guest Plastic

They're gonna put the a new tollway through there making it a mega junction for Northwest Houston.

Been wondering what they should od with NW Mall. It's geting vacant like Gulfgate,Westwood,and Northline. Old too, thik they should turn it into a bunch of office complexes? That are turn that huge field where Dlemar Stadium is into a bunch of office complexes. After that maybe they could just rennovate the mall.

I could be making this up, but don't metro plans call for a northwest transit center somewhere in this area to tie in with the commuter rail down 290?  I think I recall this being mentioned.

There already is a major transit center in the area. Metro's Northwest Transit center at the corner of Old Katy Rd. and N. Post Oak Rd. (right in the northwest corner of the I-10/610 interchange) is already there, but the Metro Solutions plan does include some expansion of it to allow for more customer parking, additional bus bays, and a rail station. The transit center is connected to both the US 290 and Katy Freeway HOV lanes, and is served by most of the park and ride routes on those two freeways as well as a variety of local routes that go to Uptown, Southwest Houston, Downtown, and the West side.

Guest Plastic
Also, at the Delmar Complex. Plans call for a propose soccer stadium.

The last time I've heard about the NW mall is they was going to build a town center like Gulfgate.

A soccer stadium? Is itgonnabe an HISD soccer stadium or a real major league soccer stadium?

The residential development will be great for the area. Many of the older instrusdrial warehouses in the area are being torn down to sell the land off. Also, the commuter rail and the Northwest Transit center will make the area a good hub of activity.

Olympics? Who want the Olympics. I don't want that horrible event near this city. I'd rather Houston fight for the X-Games which does more for the city with less initial capital outlay.

Anyway, the northwest area (US 290 and I-610) seems like an area that's on the verge of being reborn. The area could be come popular stopping point for commuter leaving downtown on the way out of town to the suburbs.

The HISD relocation will be locating many jobs to their new facility which will be a boost for the area at least during the lunchtime hour.

Does anyone know anything about Jenard Gross and his past develepments?  I just moved into Timbergrove, and I'm curious what kind of impact this will have on our neighborhood.

http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/real...y7.html?f=et180

good quality construction and more geared for individuals rather than families (normally 70% 1 beds). he will sell off the out parcels and probably break ground on the apartments within the next two years.

two recent developments are stonewood @ tc jester and the bellagio at 290 and 8.

Thanks to everyone for the insight. Hopefully, this will be extremely positive for the Timbergrove and Lazybrook communities. Although, I'm a little concerned about competing with brand new single family homes, I think that there will continue to be a market for people who like trees and decent sized yards.

I think the influx of single people into the area will add a little life to the area as well. This is where Timbergrove and Lazybrook have been moving as young professionals replace the families that have been in the community since the 1960s.

I live in Timbergrove. The area seems to be cleaning up a bit, although slowing. I just read in my NH's monthly newsletter...

"...Alliance Communites just bought the 8.2 acres on the corner of I-610 and W. 18th street for a 4 story luxury apartment complex to be called Broadstone Lofts on W. 18th. 5.7 acres will be used for the complex, the remaining 2.5 acres will be divided up between a family style restaurant and either a branch bank or small retail center..."

Alliance has 4 other properties in Houston, the closest one being in the Galleria area.

Not too keen on all the apartments coming to the area, but it does show signs of continued growth in the NW-inner loop area.

• 1 month later...
Olympics? Who want the Olympics. I don't want that horrible event near this city. I'd rather Houston fight for the X-Games which does more for the city with less initial capital outlay.

Anyway, the northwest area (US 290 and I-610) seems like an area that's on the verge of being reborn. The area could be come popular stopping point for commuter leaving downtown on the way out of town to the suburbs.

The HISD relocation will be locating many jobs to their new facility which will be a boost for the area at least during the lunchtime hour.

X-games would only attract about 30,000 people, while an Olympics would generate somewhere in the neighborhood of 400,000 people. It is definately a logistical nightmare for any city that gets it, but the windfall of money is enormous. I think if Houston really wanted to host an X-games, it would be pretty simple to get, and wouldn't need a committee to convince them to come, just get Mattress Mac to go talk to the X-Game people. ;)

Guest Plastic

I often pondered the X Games. They often go gor places like Philidelphia and Los Angeles.

Geting it in Houston is sort of a pull. The Goodwill Games is something I think we could pull for.

Guest Plastic

Good point. The only reason I heard they got it in Atlanta was because one of the other spots was Iraq and they were waring at the time. I forgot the other possible host city.

Do you think throngs of people want to go visit Bejing? The air in that city makes Houston seem like it has the cleanest air in the world. I would hate to have to run a marathon in Bejing.

The selection ends up mostly about what city can help the IOC profit the most. The true spirit of the games is lost in the olympic committees. The atheletes are the only ones who embody the original intent of the games.

Also, I'm not prepared for the city and regions to plunge into tons of debt to build facilities and infrastructure that we will have to pay off for years to come. Just look at what is happening in Greece.

Anyway, the Northwest Mall area is due to a major make-over. The future commuter rail line and connection to the Northwest transit center will be the biggest catalyst for this development.

Do you think throngs of people want to go visit Bejing? The air in that city makes Houston seem like it has the cleanest air in the world. I would hate to have to run a marathon in Bejing.

The selection ends up mostly about what city can help the IOC profit the most. The true spirit of the games is lost in the olympic committees. The atheletes are the only ones who embody the original intent of the games.

Also, I'm not prepared for the city and regions to plunge into tons of debt to build facilities and infrastructure that we will have to pay off for years to come. Just look at what is happening in Greece.

Anyway, the Northwest Mall area is due to a major make-over. The future commuter rail line and connection to the Northwest transit center will be the biggest catalyst for this development.

I believe we didn't get it is because we didn't slip money to the right person at the IOC. That committee is absolutely about how much money they can make. :blink:

Yes, throngs of people DO want to go to Beijing for the Olympics. It might help to realize that most people in the world, and even in the US, don't use your line of reasoning.

I, for one, never thought of Beijing's air quality in deciding whether the Beijing Olympics would be a memorable trip. Cost, yes. Availability of rooms, yes. Air quality... :blink:

I guess so, they came to Atlanta and LA in the US.

Most people visiting and who are part of the Olympics don't really care where it is. They are going for the events. Tourist are another thing.

My cousin routinely travels to China for business. He comments that the cities are getting much better, but have a long way to go. The suburbs of some of the chinese cities are looking closely like ours. He says the real treats of china are the historical and natural areas. Seeing these up close versus on TV or in pictures makes the difference.

I'm wondering though how a government like China will keep track of all the people overthere. Will they relax some rules near and in the Olympic village like in Salt Lake City? Salt Lake City carved out a portion near the Olympic village were drinking was allowed since the state is dry. It'll be interesting to watch. I'm hoping some blogs are operated out of china for the event, but also China might prevent any bad press if there is any.

We have two years to go. The one thing I'm happy about China hosting the Olympics is that it might go further to open China to the rest of the world. As much as they have opened up in the last 20 years, they have a long way to go.

• 1 month later...
Just curious if anyone had any updates about the Northwest Mall. I saw in the Chronicle today that developer Jenard Gross is going to tear down the MetroNexus building at 610 near 290, "to make way for as many as 300 new apartments, 140 single-family homes and 200 townhomes."

The article continues...

"Gross said the industrial area northwest of the Heights shows promise as a residential neighborhood because of planned improvements at nearby Northwest Mall and a new office building under construction for HISD in the area."

Any specifics on the improvements? Would love to see something cool happening there. :)

Passed by on my way to work this morning, and the MetroNexus (Old Fleming Warehouse) is meeting with the wrecking ball. About 1/4 of the building was already down at 6:30 am.