Little Rock Ark.

The Chronicle Travel Section focuses on Little Rock this week.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/travel/

I lived in Little Rock for 6 months in 1995-96, and it had incredible potential back then. Hilly terrain, beautiful views of the Arkansas River running through town, eclectic nightlife, with a good music scene, great old architecture. The city, plus North Little Rock, is about 250,000, about the same as Austin in it's heyday. As the only reasonably large city in Arkansas, it had a respectable gay population, which kept it lively at night.

It was often said that Little Rock was more like Austin than Austin is, midsize town with a lively bar, music and arts scene. For whatever one may think of Little Rock's native son, Little Rock itself is a great time in the old Austin style.

• 1 month later...
I'm glad someone mentioned this.

Little Rock still has some really terrible gang show downs, that just humiliate the city.

The city's crowning gem is a "library" indentical to a trailor home. Don't forget that either.

Is that Ex-Pres. Clinton's library ? I hope it is at least a Double-wide. :blink:

Passed through Little Rock on the way back from evacuating. Was on the way back from Memphis and the roads around Little Rock seemed awfully new and did think the land around the area was also pretty nice. Exactly as Red Scare described.

Off topic a little, but close - Used to live in Memphis, and while not a perfect city, has done a great job with their downtown/ Beale Street area. Obviously has history, but they block off the street as well and allow the open containers. Along the river, they have built a lot of townhomes and condos that face the river. It looks really nice and then have also started redeveloping their "Uptown" area, and have started building a lot of townhomes and patio homes. In downtown they actually have retail as well, and overall have done a great job. Was impressed.

Not even! My uncle Billy Bob has even got hisself a double-wide! Yeehaw!

103966.jpg

Clinton-library.jpg

*I do not have an uncle named Billy Bob.

Is that Pres. Clinton's van ? DOWN BY THE RIVER ! :lol:

Passed through Little Rock on the way back from evacuating. Was on the way back from Memphis and the roads around Little Rock seemed awfully new and did think the land around the area was also pretty nice. Exactly as Red Scare described.

Off topic a little, but close - Used to live in Memphis, and while not a perfect city, has done a great job with their downtown/ Beale Street area. Obviously has history, but they block off the street as well and allow the open containers. Along the river, they have built a lot of townhomes and condos that face the river. It looks really nice and then have also started redeveloping their "Uptown" area, and have started building a lot of townhomes and patio homes. In downtown they actually have retail as well, and overall have done a great job. Was impressed.

The best damn ribs in the whole country are in Memphis, at THE RENDEVOUS ! If anyone every goes to Memphis, do yourself a favor and go, and remember I sent you.

Archived