Fear & Loathing In A World Without Zoning

IronTiger

First off, I apologize in advance for the topic title. It rhymes!  :P (and it's unique, too)

In all seriousness, though, what was Houston like in the peak of the "No Zoning" days? I've read some pretty crazy stuff, like the fireworks factory in the middle of a residential neighborhood, or the "mongrel neighborhood" ad, which despite its racist undertones, depicting houses turning into bars and shops (would a house really convert to a bar in the middle of a street?) or was it far less pronounced (just on the corners/frontage of well-trafficked roads, ease of converting residential to commercial, or densifying unexpectedly)?

Furthermore, has the "peak" passed and things have pretty much fallen into place, or there are incredibly oddly placed businesses/homes still evident today? For example, big houses sit next to strip malls on Richmond, but it's freeway/strip mall/house/house/house/house/house/house/house not freeway/strip mall/house/house/house/random other business/house/strip mall/another few houses etc.

I know that one of the ways that Greenway Plaza was built so easily is that they got everyone to sign because the deed was expiring and neighbors were suspicious that Lamar-Weslayan would "go commercial", but I have no idea what the "threat" level was.

Edited by IronTiger

Well I don't know what Houston you are living in, but in terms of city organization Houston really is the urban planners wild west! When I was growing up I lived in the Colonies on W. Little York and just that area alone is crazy. I mean past Eldridge you will find an Elementary school surrounded on three sides by industry development. Right behind Concord Bridge is an enormous warehouse/industrial complex and further down the road on Eldridge right near that warehouse are holdout old Prairie Style farm houses! Seriously take a Google street view walk through it an it's insane lol. It's not just there it's everywhere! Like I said. Houston is the Urban Planners wild west. 

• Like 1

First off, I apologize in advance for the topic title. It rhymes!  :P (and it's unique, too)

Only thing it's missing is the obligatory Thompsonian subtitle. I'd go with "The Strange and Terrible Saga of a Generation of Swine".

• The title was changed to Fear & Loathing In A World Without Zoning