Toll Road Through The Heights?

I was just reading in another post about how the old railway that snakes through the Heights could be used for a toll road that connects US 290 to I-10 directly. I agree that it would completely ruin the Heights, and I have faith in the residents to stop it from happening. They should not let the suburbanites get what they want at the expense of Heights residents.

The railway space should be a bike trail. It would serve the community well; a toll road does absolutely nothing to benefit Heights residents.

In the post with an article from Nov. 2004, it just says that development would not take place for at least 10 years. But that doesn't mean it won't happen, right? I need some updates. :) By the way, here is a clip for that post which I found disturbing.

No immediate plan

Friese said the possible toll road through the Heights is "not even on the radar screen" for the next 10 years, but that if the HCTRA is given the opportunity to purchase the property and run the toll road through the Heights, it would likely take it.

"I think it's a good plan as a citizen, although I don't live in the community,"[/COLOR] she said. "You look at the Sam Houston Tollway on the south and the southeast sides and you can see what a huge boom to the economy it's been for both residential and commercial development.

You guys are right. I jumped on that too quickly without thinking about the date of the article being November 2004. I'm sure alot of information has come about since then. I am pleased that the space is going toward a hike and bike trail, which further secures my intent of moving to the Heights after I leave Jersey Village.

I am new at this posting stuff. Can anyone tell me the difference between each of the reply options?

nmainguy, the bike trail only gets you to Nicholson where it turns north. That still leaves open the corridor from basically Shepheard west to Katy Rd/I10 and Northwest on to the 290/610 interchange area. While I am opposed to a toll road through the area, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it followed the corridor from 610/290 on down to Katy Rd/I10. It's mostly light industrial through there and would have no effect on the Heights. It would make no sense to bring the tollroad east to Shepheard (there are no traffic issues on I10 in that area even at the height of rush hour) other than to piss off our Cottage Grove neighbors. The link is to a google map of the area:

I love Google Satellite

The rail corridor is planned to be used for the US 290 corridor commuter rail. This will take it right into the planned intermodal transit station north of downtown where the current red line is going to be extended to the north.

Check metro's website.

The toll road concept will NEVER happen there. This is from the president of HCTRA and the the director of Harris County Infrastructure themselves to me and several other residents at a small meeting.

I also have posted in that topic a letter in which others have see also that they have no plans for it.

It will be the primary corridor for the commuter rail, it may be able to have a trail next to it.

nmainguy, the bike trail only gets you to Nicholson where it turns north. That still leaves open the corridor from basically Shepheard west to Katy Rd/I10 and Northwest on to the 290/610 interchange area. While I am opposed to a toll road through the area, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it followed the corridor from 610/290 on down to Katy Rd/I10. It's mostly light industrial through there and would have no effect on the Heights. It would make no sense to bring the tollroad east to Shepheard (there are no traffic issues on I10 in that area even at the height of rush hour) other than to piss off our Cottage Grove neighbors. The link is to a google map of the area:

I love Google Satellite

HeightsGuy:

I use the White Oak trail often from just south of Pinemont to 11th (Timbergrove). Here's a good map of all the bike ways existing and proposed. It's pdf so you'll have to enlarge it to read it all.

http://www.publicworks.cityofhouston.gov/b...map_network.pdf

Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...

metro has mentioned commuter rail from 290 terminating at the hardy rail yard redevelopment/transit center. would this configuration involve using the ROW mentioned in this thread? it might be something to look into or look out for.

May 31, 2006, 12:11AM

Metro pursues land for plan to connect rail and bus lines

Transit board votes to negotiate a deal for 9 acres in Hardy rail yard

By RAD SALLEE

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Metro authorities are ready to make a deal with Union Pacific for property just north of downtown, hoping to turn a portion of its sprawling rail yard into a central station for Metro buses and trains.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority board Tuesday voted to have staff negotiate the purchase of nine acres of the railroad's Hardy Yard, bordered roughly by Main to the west, Elysian to the east, Burnett to the North and Lyons and Conti to the south.

Metro's long-term plans also call for a commuter rail line from U.S. 290 and northwest Houston that could terminate at the site, he said.

full story

metro has mentioned commuter rail from 290 terminating at the hardy rail yard redevelopment/transit center. would this configuration involve using the ROW mentioned in this thread? it might be something to look into or look out for.

Nope. The active rail right of way that is being considered runs parallel to Washington Ave., then merges with the UP line through Memorial Park and runs out northwest along Hempstead Hwy.

The MKT line is no more.

Archived