Fellow sprawling city Orlando's new rail draws huge crowds

If you build it they will come

There are many, many examples in the United States where that has not been the case.

Anyway, of course it's popular when it's the first day of a highly publicized rail line AND free rides until May!

Call us back when fares are enacted and the new-ness dies down.

There are many, many examples in the United States where that has not been the case.

Anyway, of course it's popular when it's the first day of a highly publicized rail line AND free rides until May!

Call us back when fares are enacted and the new-ness dies down.

I should've rephrased that. If you build in the right corridors they will come. This is the first rail line ever in Orlando in an area with terrible traffic so it is bound to be successful.

I should've rephrased that. If you build in the right corridors they will come. This is the first rail line ever in Orlando in an area with terrible traffic so it is bound to be successful.

That should probably be reworded to "more likely to be successful", since humans fo not alway sact as predicted.

That should probably be reworded to "more likely to be successful", since humans fo not alway sact as predicted.

That becomes a question of how you define success.  In the case of the discussed line, projected 2030 ridership is 7,400 average weekday boardings, which is not enough to convince Orlando that it doesn't require a projected $2.1 billion dollar overhaul of I-4.

For reference, the current average daily traffic volume of I-4 is 175,000 vehicles and will be significantly expanded from that number...

So yes, if success is defined as diverting less than 4% of the traffic from a single highway while not relieving the need for a massive reconstruction of that highway, then you might want to consider redefining success.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/285678-toll-lanes-touted-as-congestion-fix-for-central-floridas-i-4/

^How much is thru-traffic versus commuter/cross-town traffic?  That's the question.  Since we all know someone driving from San Antonio to New Orleans isn't going to stop and ride commuter rail/light rail/whatever rail through Houston.  That's not the target.

• Like 1