Freeways to be tolled soon?

Punishing sprawl. Sounds good to me

I'm not advocating punishing anyone.

I'm saying "IF" this were to happen, I think what I have proposed (rather than tolls on all freeways) would perhaps be a better way to go.

This is not about punishing sprawl, hurting those who can't live inside the Loop, or causing people to have a mass suburban exodus - it is only about repairing the roads/bridges/tunnels/etc. through a tax of some sort.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to simply increase the gas tax.  Not for any of these but if they happened because we have crumbling infrastructure then I can't argue that it isn't in the nations best interests.

I don't expect that working remotely / telecommuting will have a significant long-term impact on congestion.  Where I work we are about to crack down on it to force more people into the office.  The downsides just proved too much.  

I'm not a huge fan of increasing gas taxes.  Average miles driven has been flat, and as cars become more efficient it is hard to sustain gas tax revenues.  Maybe the way to go would be a unified infrastructure tax to support roads, airports, the port, mass transit etc (ie a broader scope than the current Metro levy).  

• Like 1