Austin

Montrose1100

Austin has given us many things, laughter from the American idol audtitions, music and dance from the whearhouse district, and major concernts and events, due to all the colleges and Universities there. I think its a great little city, with a good future. if they are what they are now, wait in 20 years. They might even pose a threat to San Antonio and Dallas, who knows? I think its the San Diego of Texas, not the San Francisco.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest OutOfTheRacesAndOntoTheTracks

Never let go of the fact that they never made varsity? What! Everyone knows this is just the beginning for Austin. It's popularity is consistantly on the rise along with it's population and it seems to always be near the top of everyone's list for best places to live, work, date, and do business. Sure the real estate prices and city council are a joke and the streets and highways are obsolete before they're finished but at least it's still holding on to the 'austintacious' attitude that makes the city so desirable. ;)

P.S. (definately the san fran montrose)

Guest OutOfTheRacesAndOntoTheTracks

Oh come on, they just had the Real World filmed there, obviously lots of people in lots of places are taking interest in the city. B)

Oh come on, they just had the Real World filmed there, obviously lots of people in lots of places are taking interest in the city. B)

Austin was "HOT" about 3 to 4 years ago. After the DOT COM companies went belly up, (thank the lord !) Austin started going back to normal, as the laid back, college town/ hippie community it should be. Austin is still growing, but alot of people, who didn't need to be there in the first place, have left.

I'm surprised Birkenstock didn't go bust when Austin did.

Well, who do you think is keeping Birkenstock open ? All the hippies still in Austin, they all live in Cedar Park though, and have SUV's and minivans, with 3 bdr. Limestone covered homes with tin roofs. Head over to Lake Travis on the weekends to whoop it up at Sam Hill's and Carlos and Charlies. I heard they burned down the Oasis with one of their "waterbongs", or "houkapipes". Damn careless if you ask me. :lol:

• 10 months later...
No, the San Francisco of Texas.

Austin made many contributions to the San Francisco scene in the 1960s. For a few years, the stepvan that carried the equiptment for "Rip off Press" the underground comic book producer in SF sat in my back yard in clarksville. I have heard that the pulsating ameba light show started in Austin and was carried west. Then there was the flow of musicians from other texas cities to austin and then to san francisco- of which Janis was the most famous, but there were many others Texans involved in the SF sound. Then there was the return flow that energized the cosmic cowboy scene in the early 70s. There was also the family dog firm that produced many concerts in SF. In many ways, Austin is able to produce innovative things that wouldnt fly elsewhere because Texas is so politically conservative. Other liberal places may be left leaning but they are culturally conservative, with a basic respect for conservative american-european traditions. But texans fleeing the conservative and banal culture come to austin and with a tongue in cheek attitude towards western "civilization". There is nothing sacred about the texas version of civilzation, so everything is up for parody. However, in the 60, Austin was still a limited venue, and moving on to San Francisco was like going to heaven. I still remember the reastaurant, was it silver doller something on either lamar or burnet rd that had a bathtub planted with flowers up on a pole and a sign that said "for flower children"

Archived