Harris County School For Boys In Clear Lake

littlebunny

I  am just curious about something.......Growing up in the 70's I had an older brother who was a bit of a juvenile delinquent  ( At least that's what they called out of control kids back then)   After breaking the law a few to many times, they sentenced him to a boys home.  I am trying to remember a certain one.  I believe it was located out in Clear Lake, and I remember on family visits,  that they had horses, canoes and it was like a summer camp.   I guess the juvenile justice system sure has changed.  Just wondering if any one has any information on the place.  Back then it was all under The Harris county youth authority, and I know they had several other places in Texas.  

• Like 1

The Harris County School for Boys, which served delinquent boys, was founded at Seabrook in 1910 and relocated to South Houston in 1914. In 1924, the home moved yet again, to Clear Lake on property adjacent to the county park. Beginning in 1936, Bayland and the Harris County School for Boys were consolidated into one institution at the Clear Lake location. After a small fire in 1951 which required moving the boys to the Girls School, the HCJPD realized the benefits of a co-ed home in keeping siblings together. The two homes were merged to create the Burnett-Bayland Home in 1952. The Harris County School for Boys (at Clear Lake) was refurbished and reopened in 1955. In 1972 the School was re-named the Harris County Youth Village.

Post by Filio Scotia in the Poor Farm topic here:  http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/16249-the-poor-farm/?hl=seabrook#entry254416

• The title was changed to Harris County School For Boys In Clear Lake
  • 2 months later...

City book of Houston 1925 : containing a survey of the city administration, an analysis of the port of Houston, a historical sketch of Houston, and a brief outline of the activities of the various city departments

Publication date 1925

Every year the City of Houston appropriates large sums of money toward the maintenance of a score of charitable institutions and among those received the benefits are the DePelchin Faith Home and Harris County Training School for Boys.

laruGGx.jpg

Boys Training School at South Houston.

Gzg0lhW.jpg