Guess The Style Architecture Of This House

pineda

Yes, I've been reading stories about farmers and other local businessman who were not the hoi-polloi of their day but who still wanted to live like the rich, buy these kits from Sears and have them erected by local craftsmen, who depending upon their skills, could either craft something even more fanciful and beautiful than the kit supplied, or just erected it with simple but crude flourishes that kinda sorta resembled a bastardized version of a classic Queen Anne Victorian. Thanks for your assessments. :)

Guest danax

Mostly late Queen Anne mutt, meaning an early 20th century mixture. The wraparound, windows and asymmetry would be part of the Queen Anne style but the front door is Craftsman, another possible early 20th century indicator, and the porch columns could be considered Colonial, as the Colonial Revival was happening around that period. My house is from the same period and it's a similar mutt. I have 5 exterior doors, 2 are Craftsman. We tend to think in terms of pure styles but obviously, the builders then were a lot less concerned with stylistic purity and would mix it up anyway that seemed to work, just like they do now.

Cool house. Is it in Houston?

Cool house. Is it in Houston?

No, it's in Huntsville or rather "North, North Houston"!

I'm looking at different color schemes for it now, but don't really care for the "earthy" tones preferred by the homeowners of that period, early 1900's. I'm leaning more towards four or five different shades or hues of light blues and grays. The house next door, or rather behind, is a creamy pale yellow with white trim, so I think it will be complementary to that. What do you think? I really don't care for the all-white look.

All white does suck. I'd go tri-color on that one. I don't see enough fru fru on it to put 4-5 colors. You should pick colors that play up the brick columns, and redo the porch rail too. Also, I would pick a body color that would hopefully downplay the overbearing mass of the second story....its kinda just a big blob on top of the house....at least from the angle of the pic it is.

So, how many sqft?

Guest danax
All white does suck.  I'd go tri-color on that one.  I don't see enough fru fru on it to put 4-5 colors.  You should pick colors that play up the brick columns, and redo the porch rail too.

Wow. Good selection, Pineda. Are you going to live there?

I agree that 4 or 5 colors wouldn't be appropriate. A lot of people over-do it these days with the Victorians but most of them, especially those late model ones, never had such fancy paint schemes. Your's is just like mine style-wise. You've got no "gingerbread" and I see another Craftsman door for the side porch (parlor) entrance. Mine was original white on white too, then they shingled it in the trendy Arts and Crafts style.

I would say the tri-color would be best, with usually the medium tone as the body, light tone for the trim, then very dark for the screen and window sashes. Gloss black was common. Some of the major paint manufacturers have "period" schemes, like Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams.

How's the inside? French doors or pocket? Any original lighting left? Plumbing fixtures? Wanna sell any, if so?.....hehe.

It dawned me the other day when I was looking at paint chips that the colors that are my absolute favorites, the blues and the grays, are the same light tones used in both the Houston Architecture forum website and my Windows XP computer theme!!!!

I don't care though, I still LOVE those colors and plan to use them. Maybe I'll just re-name the house the "Houston Architecture forum website inspired home!" HA! :lol:

• The title was changed to Guess The Style Architecture Of This House