Galveston And Annexation

I hope for the city of Galveston to expand because of its expanding tourism industry (Schlitterbahn).

I am kind of confused, the city itself should be larger becuase of tourism. I mean the area is the same pop. whether Bolivar is technically Galveston or not. But I would like Galveston to grow in pop by more growth in the city and it becoming a more desirable place to live.

Also, remember, everytime they annex they become responsible for roads, water lines, storm and sanitary sewers. The tax benifit for annexing may not outweigh the risks.

Annexation has nothing to do with wanting a bigger population or more land area. It's about getting more tax revenue.

Also, remember, everytime they annex they become responsible for roads, water lines, storm and sanitary sewers.  The tax benifit for annexing may not outweigh the risks.

Annexation has nothing to do with wanting a bigger population or more land area.  It's about getting more tax revenue.

Yeah, thats why I wrote I didn't weigh any pos or negs. The land area growth is my own wishful thinking

Before all of this LGN terminal talk, I've always wondered what the status of Pelican Island was. Well, I guess If the city can lease the land, then it belongs to Galveston. If I'm not mistaken alot of it is undeveloped (aside from A&M, Seawolf Park, and ship repair docks). I think residential development could have been feasible, now with a natual gas plant proposed for the island, I don't know?

Does anybody know how much unincorporated land is between Galveston and Beaumont?

galvestonmapweb5vh.jpg