Quick Survey Of BCS Residential Developments

Scotch

(For some reason the board turns BCS into Bcs in the topic, I'll try to remember that when I create future topics.)

I had some free time Saturday and used a few hours to drive around and take a look at various residential developments in Bryan and College Station. Here are a few observations, feel free to add to the discussion by providing detail or discussing other subdivisions/residential development. Unfortunately I neglected to bring a camera along...

First off, College Station:

While the sheer numbers of housing starts are staggering, some of the development seems rushed and the road infrastructure has a long way to go to catch up to the amount of housing. The area with the most growth that I wasn't fully aware of was behind Shenandoah. I remember the development being a bust when first started in the late 80's, but there are numerous home starts now.

Off of Barron Rd.:

There is a Stylecraft development that is "cute" like most Stylecraft developments but in some places the lots are so small that you can reach your hand out of your kitchen window and into your neighbor

From a list serv e-mail I received today from Jay Socol, City of Bryan Public Information Officer:

Austin's Colony Parkway Traffic Lights Ready for Activation

Partial operation begins Thursday

The newly-installed traffic lights at Boonville Road (FM-158) and

Austin's Colony Parkway in Bryan will begin partial operation tomorrow.

The lights, which will allow better flow into and out of the Austin's

Colony subdivision, will blink yellow through Monday morning, then will

change to normal operation.

The stretch of Austin's Colony Parkway from Boonville Road to Settler's

Way is now widened to four full lanes with a right-turn-only lane added

for the convenience of those needing to exit the subdivision. Traffic

signals, additional intersection lighting and a pedestrian crosswalk

were also installed.

Brazos Valley Services substantially completed the $435,000 project two

weeks ahead of schedule, and in plenty of time for the August 16 start

of school in Bryan.

Meanwhile, the Bryan City Council will soon consider a landscape and

sidewalk contract for the west side of Austin's Colony Parkway near the

area of current commercial development.

• 3 weeks later...

To Add to your "Residential Developments" article for Bryan a thought I might add a little.

The area in north Bryan that has seen huge growth in the last few years is along Timberline Dr. and Northwood Dr. where Austin developer Main Street Homes has created a community, literally across the street from Navarro Elementary School. The homes are fairly decent, prices ranging in the mid 90s, which is to be expected in that portion of town.

Also, just outside of Bryan along FM 974 (aka Tabor Rd) a new sub-division that boasts huge county lots called "North Country Estates" is blowing up, it has doubled in size in the last 12 months. To me it would be crazy for Bryan not to try to annex this area in the near future. I believe it is in Bryan's ET Jurisdiction Zone, the site is about 2 miles outside of Bryan.

They have also, for some time, been building a new neighborhood off of Coulter Dr. and East 25th next to the Bob Bond Little League Fields, these homes are nice, probably in the 110 price range.

As far as Miramont, development is beginning to take off, I drove around several days ago and can account for about 7 or 8 homes under construction with an additional 2 already complete and sold. A short drive down FM 1179 from Miramont in the community of Steep Hollow (1/2 mile outside Bryan city limits) 4 new subdivisions are taking off in a quick pace. "Stone Creek Farms", "Easterling Estates", "Risinger Estates" and another one off of Steep Hollow Rd. that I cant recall the name of. The homes in these areas are 150' to 200s price ranges.

Have you seen The Presidio on Finfeater Rd near W. Villa Maria? rivals Signature Park in East Bryan. And in my opinion, Traditions looks far better than Miramont in landscaping and design.

I meant to write more about Miramont. A few months ago when I went it seemed to be a ghost town, but a few weeks ago there was new life and I could see the vision of the development. As you said txshady, there are numerous new home starts and with the country club nearing completion, I expect to see new starts rapidly increase.

I posted a quick blurb about "The Presidio" in the Bryan development update thread. It looks very nice and hopefully the developer will buy the out of date Avalon apartments, tear them down and add on to the much nicer Presidio.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my cousin (from Houston) out there to Miramont because he always says Bryan/College Station is country and does not have any really big houses, so I took him here and told him that that was a house. Then I told him the truth and showed him around that neghborhood and the gates around Don Adams house. I also showed him the othe golf course neghboorhood Traditions, he really liked it.

I took my cousin (from Houston) out there to Miramont because he always says Bryan/College Station is country and does not have any really big houses, so I took him here and told him that that was a house. Then I told him the truth and showed him around that neghborhood and the gates around Don Adams house. I also showed him the othe golf course neghboorhood Traditions, he really liked it.

Does anyone else think that the asphalt roads of the B/CS subdivisions make them look worse than they actually are?

Does anyone else think that the asphalt roads of the B/CS subdivisions make them look worse than they actually are?

Yes, I think they look horrible. I think the City of Bryan should start using cement pavement for subdivisions. While yes, asphalt is a cheaper alternative, It also doesnt have the lifespan of cement. Aspalt requires lots of patches every year, as well as overlays. Cement tends to last much longer, doesnt require much year-to-year repairs. But asphalt is not very pleasing to ones eye, I have to say.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. In The Houston and Sugarland area, they use cement and it looks 100% Better! They don't have to come in and put all of those shaky lines in the road after it cracks also.

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. In The Houston and Sugarland area, they use cement and it looks 100% Better! They don't have to come in and put all of those shaky lines in the road after it cracks also.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that it makes a substantial difference. Sure there are some large homes and nice communities in B/CS, but I've never really been as impressed as I am in say the Shadow Creek Ranch or Blackhorse Ranch subdivisions in Houston to name a few.

I think it's the asphalt road and sidewalk placement in each that make the difference. Sure, it may seem insignificant, but if I'm spending 200k+ I don't want to have to travel down faded, cracking asphalt road that has black tar lines on it everyday.

Another thing I'd like to see in B/CS that is more Houston-ish is the way new subdivisons use retention ponds as small lakes...but that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...

Here goes some of the first pictures I have ever posted of my own of Bryan/College Station. They aren't very good because I did not plan this. I just had to go to that part of University today so I took some pictures while I was on that part of town. I also have some of downtown and a few other areas around B/CS:

Bryan-CollegeStation020.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation010.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation005.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation004.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation002.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation007.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation022.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation035.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation029.jpg

Bryan-CollegeStation033.jpg

Archived