Hello all!

My name is Rudy, and I live here in Houston. Been here all my life of 44 years. Ever since I was 12-years-old I've loved architecture, but primarily making models of buildings. I started out making them out of manila folders, but found out that Houston's humidity doesn't like manila folders, so I moved on up to poster board. I use various materials for details, but use the model supplies you can find at Hobby Lobby.

For many years I would visit local model maker studios, and just drool all over their awesome looking models! I know they cost a lot of money to build, so I knew I'd never be able to have one made, or obtain one that had already been made and take home with me.

Well, last week my wishes came true. I found a listing on the Craigslist website where someone had posted a full-scale architectural model. It was a 5 foot by 5 foot, 100 pound model, that was extremely detailed. The poster of the ad said that he discovered it at a construction project he and his company were on, and his boss wanted him to dispose of it. So he brought it home and listed it on Craigslist. He said to make an offer and the first reasonable one would get it.

I'm not financially well-off, so I took a chance and replied with a $100 offer. To my amazement, he accepted! He knew what he had, and he knew the model was worth well more than that, but he just needed to get it out of his garage. He could tell by my reaction and constant emails to him that I was VERY much interested and wanted it badly.

Well I now have it in my spare bedroom that has been used as a junk room for a few years. I've attached a photo of the model. It is the BriarLake Plaza Complex, which is located on the 2000 block of the West Sam Houston Parkway. It seems the smaller two buildings were not built, but only the tower and one parking garage. The new Samsung Engineering building is currently being built next to the tower.

I am VERY happy to be the owner of this model. Again, the detail is immaculate, and even though this model is worth more than the $100 I paid the guy for, it is priceless to me. It will become a major source of inspiration to what I wish to design and build in the years to come.

post-12319-0-18544200-1374898139_thumb.jpost-12319-0-61867300-1374898337_thumb.jpost-12319-0-96704000-1374898359_thumb.jpost-12319-0-57563800-1374898182_thumb.j

The closest I've come to Houston's skyscrapers are the printable paper models lol. I have the Wells Fargo Plaza and J.P. Morgan Chase Tower made. I've always loved the shape of the Wells Fargo Plaza. Someone mentioned the footprint resembles a dollar sign. I wonder why! haha....Blessings to you and your family, lockmat!

• 5 months later...

I used some of my own model greenery to fill in the huge gap in front of the lake on this model. I added the long, curved shrubbery, then made the miniature BriarLake Plaza sign that sits in front of the bushes. When I get more time, I may add the 3 flag poles that stand behind this sign in the bushes. But this is good enough for now!! :) :)

post-12319-0-72061800-1389589805_thumb.jpost-12319-0-16212100-1389589805_thumb.jpost-12319-0-48062100-1389589804_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Archived